Ocr Paper 2 Gcse Pasteurs Germ Theory Help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gcsehistorystudent

gcsehistorystudent
  • Student
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 04:19 PM

Please could someone give me the date that pasteur announced the germ theory on? i know he began work with the brewing industry in 1857 and in 1867 showed that germs caused the silkworm disease pebrine, and that in 1864 he carried out an experiement with the swan neck flask but i cannot find the date of the germ theory itself which i need to know before the morning please help.

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:42 PM

The answer is that nobody is sure - or at least, different historians are sure about different dates.
The 1864 date, however, is set and provable.
Pasteur was probably developing his ideas from 1860, but you can state that in 1864 he PROVED them.

#3 Tudor

Tudor
  • Student
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:43 PM

Hey there, i am too doing OCR paper 2 tommorow and we were told the focus is always British history, therefore Pasteur won't come up as he is french. Good Luck for tommorow!

Tudor Kid :lol:

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 05:49 PM

Hey there, i am too doing OCR paper 2 tommorow and we were told the focus is always British history, therefore Pasteur won't come up as he is french. Good Luck for tommorow!

Tudor Kid :lol:

Hmmm
Be VERY careful with this - it is very dangerus talk.
Here is what the spec says:

How far did the work of Pasteur and Koch affect the treatment of the majority of the population
by the end of the nineteenth century?...

I'd know about him if I were you.

#5 Tudor

Tudor
  • Student
  • 16 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 07:36 PM

May you be so kind to post an answer please to that question you posted sir?

Many thanks,

Tudor

#6 Mr Field

Mr Field

Administrator

• 1,391 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:22 PM

I've removed a few of the multiple posts - you can find some help for that question at:
http://www.schoolhis...uccesskoch.html and http://www.schoolhis...asteurkoch.html

Click on the 'show hints' button to see the information.

#7 starworkaholic

starworkaholic
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 06:25 PM

Hi,
Has anyone got the
tuesday 21 june 2005 paper 2 modern world histroy exam paper? i've searched the web but can't find it anywhere. i need it before sunday 30 september. sorry, its short notice.
Thanx

#8 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:09 PM

Simple answer: no - it is not available on the web.

But this post from a previous thread on the forum may help:

Also Miss Buxton .. if you happen to read this would i be right in thinking ... Paper 1 - Q1 either LON, Tov or casues of ww2, Source Question (6 mark 9 mark) Q2 same but with cold war topics and you either have a choice of Q1 or Q2??? Q3 Q4 TOV LON or Road to War Q5 Q6 Cold War, (4,6,10 marks question), and then the germany section which is a source and a question and then a 4,6,10??? Am a right? And does this mean that I can opt to not revise cold war and do Q1 either Q3 or Q4 and the germany section???
Paper 2 ... Women and the vote, Liberal reforms, Birtian in the War ... its most likely to be women and the votre isnt it? or if not liberals? I have been told not to revise Britain in the war is the right or not??

Thanks soo much!!
Sorry to be a pain
xxx

I am pleased your revision is going very well.....

Section A Question 1a is a source question that covers ToV, LoN and the Road to WWII (4 marks) whereas 1b is a Explain why (6 marks).........Question 2a and b cover post 1945 Cold War onwards...............You choose to do question 1 or 2 answring both parts

Section B question 3 and 4 covers ToV, LoN and the Road to WWII...for the first section........(marks 4,6,10)
Question 5 and 6 covers post 1945 Cold War onwards (marks 4, 6, 10)
you choose to do one question answering all parts.

Section C - question 7 a, b, c (marks 6,7,7) are source questions on Germany...this question is compulsory
Question 8 or 9 are two questions (marks 4, 6, 10) on Germany.....you choose to do one, either 8 or 9 answering all parts.

I have posted the Cold War syllabus questions for Paper 1....

4. Who was to blame for the Cold War?

• Why did the USA-USSR alliance begin to break down in 1945?
• How had the USSR gained control of Eastern Europe by 1948?
• How did the USA react to Soviet expansionism?
• Who was more to blame for the start of the Cold War, the USA or the USSR?

• The origins of the Cold War;
• the 1945 summit conferences and the breakdown of the USAUSSR alliance in 1945-6;
• Soviet expansionism in Eastern Europe;
• the Iron Curtain;
• the Truman Doctrine and the Marshall Plan;
• the Berlin Blockade and its immediate consequences.

5. How effectively did the USA contain the spread of Communism?

• America and events in Cuba, 1959-62;
• American involvement in Vietnam.

• American reactions to the Cuban Revolution;
• the Bay of Pigs,
• the Cuban Missile Crisis.
• Reasons for America’s entry into, and increasing involvement in, the Vietnam War;
• reasons for America’s defeat in the war.

6. How secure was the USSR’s control over Eastern Europe, 1948-c.1989?

• Why was there opposition to Soviet control in Hungary in 1956 and Czechoslovakia in 1968,
• and how did the USSR react to this opposition?
• How similar were events in Hungary in 1956 and in Czechoslovakia in 1968?
• Why was the Berlin Wall built in 1961?
• How important was ’Solidarity’?
• How far was Gorbachev responsible for the collapse of Soviet control over Eastern Europe?

• Soviet power in Eastern Europe;
• resistance to Soviet power in Hungary, 1956, and
• Czechoslovakia, 1968;
• the Berlin Wall;
• ‘Solidarity’ in Poland;
• Gorbachev and the collapse of the Soviet Empire.

I have also posted past exam questions from Paper 1 section B....question 3 or 4 on Tov, Lon, Road to WWII that I typed up for my students.

Paper 1: Section B
You are advised to spend 35 minutes on this section
Answer ONE question from this section (either question 3 or 4)

2000 Exam paper
Question 3
a. What limits did the Treaty of Versailles place on Germany’s armed forces (4)
b. Explain what Wilson hoped to achieve at the Paris Peace Conference. (6)
c. How far was Clemenceau satisfied with the Treaty of Versailles? Explain your answer. (10)

Question 4
a. In what ways did Hitler increase the strength of Germany’s armed forces in the 1930s? (4)
b. Explain why the British Government appeased Germany in the 1930s. (6)
c. Did the policy of appeasement during the 1930s make war with Germany more or less likely? Explain your answer. (10)

2002 Exam paper
Question 3
a. What did Clemenceau hope to achieve from the Treaty of Versailles? (4)
b. Explain why President Wilson did not get everything he wanted from the Treaty of Versailles. (6)
c. How successful was the Treaty of Versailles up to the end of 1923? Explain your answer. (10)

Question 4
a. What were the main aims of the League of Nations? (4)
b. Some countries were not members of the League of Nations when it was set up. Explain how this weakened the League. (6)
c. How successful was the League of Nations at keeping peace in the 1920s and 1930s? Explain your answer. (10)

2003 Exam specimen paper
Question 3
a. In what ways did the Treaty of Versailles try to ensure future international peace? (4)
b. Explain what Wilson hoped to achieve at the Paris Peace Conference. (6)
c. How far was Clemenceau satisfied with the Treaty of Versailles? Explain your answer. (10)

Question 4
a. What were the main aims of the League of Nations? (4)
b. Explain why some major nations were not members of the League when it was first set up. (6)
c. ‘The most important reason why the League was weak in the 1920s was its lack of an army’. Do you agree with this statement? Explain your answer. (10)

2004 Exam paper
Question 3
a. In what ways did the Treaty of Versailles weaken Germany’s armed forces? (4)
b. Explain why the terms of the Treaty of Versailles caused so much bitterness in Germany. (6)
c. How far did Clemenceau, Lloyd George and Wilson share the same aims in the peace negotiations of 1919? Explain your answer. (10)

Question 4
a. What were the main aims of the League of Nations when it was set up in 1920? (4)
b. Explain why the League of Nations failed to deal successfully with the Japanese invasion of Manchuria in 1931. (6)
c. How far was the League of Nations a complete failure? Explain your answer. (10)

2005 Exam paper
Question 3
a. What did Lloyd George hope to achieve from the Treaty of Versailles? (4)
b. Explain why Germany was made to pay reparations. (6)
c. The following were all equally important reasons why Germany hated the Treaty of Versailles:
i. Limitations on its armed forces
ii. The loss of raw material and industries
iii. The loss of land
Do you agree with this statement? Explain your answer, referring only to (i), (ii) and (iii). (10)

Question 4
a. What was agreed at the Munich Conference in 1938? (4)
b. Explain why Germany and the Soviet Union signed the Nazi-Soviet Pact in 1939. (6)
c. The following were all equally important reasons why there was a world war in 1939:
i. Hitler’s aggressive foreign policy
ii. The failure of the League of Nations
iii. The policy of appeasement
Do you agree with this statement? Explain your answer, referring only to (i), (ii) and (iii). (10)

2006 Exam paper
Question 3
a. What land did Germany lose in the Treaty of Versailles? (4)
b. Explain why the Allies punished Germany in the Treaty of Versailles. (6)
c. How satisfied were the Allied leaders with the Treaty of Versailles? Explain your answer (10)

Question 4
a. What was the structure of the League of Nations? (4)
b. Explain how the League of Nations tried to solve social problems during the 1920s and 1930s. (6)
c. How successful was the League of Nations at keeping the peace in the 1920s and 1930s? Explain your answer. (10)

Good luck with your revision

#9 starworkaholic

starworkaholic
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:51 PM

Do you have the OCR exam paper 2 for GCSE:
on Tuesday 21 June 2005

I need it before 30th September 2008. Please can you give me a web linnk or attach it to this document as soon as possible. It will be well appreciated.
Thanx

#10 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:11 PM

Ooops!
Missed the Paper 2 bit - what a twit! :lol: :blush:

Nevetheless, the answer is again no!
I don't think they are available on the web.
I will ask on the History Teachers' Discussion Forum to see if there is anyone who can help you.

#11 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 09:57 AM

Mr Brown, a teacher on the History Teachers' Discussion Forum, suggests this link:
https://vle.oakham.r...php?id=19#Exam.
Thank you, Sir!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users