King John: Was He Good Or Bad?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 bexy

bexy
  • Student
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 09:16 AM

Could you please help me to decide whether King John was a good person or a bad one. We have to make a decision about him and say why we think that. Thank you

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:51 PM

Read a few things about King John.
As you read them, jot down all the good things about him, and all the 'bad things' that weren't his fault.
On another piece of paper, write down all the bad and horrid things yo find out, and all his failures.
Sites you might try are:When you have done that write your answer in three sections, using these sentence starters:

In some ways, there are lots of good things about King John... (and then write about all the 'good' things you noted - say why they are 'good').

In other ways, however, there were lots of bad things about King John... (and then wrte about all the bad' things you discovered, explaining why they make him out to be a bad king).

So, although there are good and bad things about John, overall I think he was... (and then say what you judge him to be, good or bad, and why).

What you need to know is that, for centuries, King John was regarded as a bad king. The Chronicles from the time said the most awful things about him - that he killed his nephew, that he fell down and foamed at the mouth when he didnt get his own way, that he tortured people to get money out of them etc. And people always believed that Magna Carta was the foundation of out freedom, so they assumed that Kign John was a tyrant and that the barons were 'true Englishmen'.
Recent historians, however, challenge this view. King John, you see, fell out with the Church - but it was monks who wrte the Chronicles(so you see why they said suh bad things about John - in fact, most of their accusations had been proved to have ben made up). And nowadays, historians see the barons not as freedom fighters, but as selfish men trying to hold onto their own privileges (and not bothered about the peasants AT ALL). In fact, King John was a very good king in many ways - he was very hardworking, he was the first king to keep proper records, he improved the law courts and made the barons obey the law, and he was a faithful Christian.

#3 bexy

bexy
  • Student
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:22 PM

Thank you very much for your help. I have written my essay using the starting sentences that you suggested. I think that maybe was was deep down a good person but just a bit unlucky !

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 08:52 PM

Let us know what your teacher says!

I think maybe there is a difference between being a good king and a good man!
I suspect you would have found John was a pretty awful person to know!

#5 hattie21

hattie21
  • Student
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:32 PM

Could you please help me to decide whether King John was a good person or a bad one. We have to make a decision about him and say why we think that. Thank you

king john was a bad person :rolleyes: :wacko:

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:28 PM

I think the point is that you cannot be SURE that King John was a bad person because - although we are told lots of bad things about John, the people who told us these things were biased, because they hate John and had every cause to lie (and seeing as they are now dead we can't ask them whether they lied or not).

#7 addi

addi
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 April 2011 - 12:05 PM

Read a few things about King John.
As you read them, jot down all the good things about him, and all the 'bad things' that weren't his fault.
On another piece of paper, write down all the bad and horrid things yo find out, and all his failures.
Sites you might try are:

When you have done that write your answer in three sections, using these sentence starters:

In some ways, there are lots of good things about King John... (and then write about all the 'good' things you noted - say why they are 'good').

In other ways, however, there were lots of bad things about King John... (and then wrte about all the bad' things you discovered, explaining why they make him out to be a bad king).

So, although there are good and bad things about John, overall I think he was... (and then say what you judge him to be, good or bad, and why).

What you need to know is that, for centuries, King John was regarded as a bad king. The Chronicles from the time said the most awful things about him - that he killed his nephew, that he fell down and foamed at the mouth when he didnt get his own way, that he tortured people to get money out of them etc. And people always believed that Magna Carta was the foundation of out freedom, so they assumed that Kign John was a tyrant and that the barons were 'true Englishmen'.
Recent historians, however, challenge this view. King John, you see, fell out with the Church - but it was monks who wrte the Chronicles(so you see why they said suh bad things about John - in fact, most of their accusations had been proved to have ben made up). And nowadays, historians see the barons not as freedom fighters, but as selfish men trying to hold onto their own privileges (and not bothered about the peasants AT ALL). In fact, King John was a very good king in many ways - he was very hardworking, he was the first king to keep proper records, he improved the law courts and made the barons obey the law, and he was a faithful Christian.

thank you this really helped me with deciding your view for my essay

#8 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 24 April 2011 - 01:03 PM

thank you this really helped me with deciding your view for my essay

Great; well done for looking it up and thank you for being so polite.

#9 buster321

buster321
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 06:59 PM

Many thanks, this really helped!  I believe that John was unlucky in facing a great enemy. Philip of France.  A skilled warrior doesn't necessarily mean a great king and vice versa.

#10 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 11 May 2013 - 08:14 PM

Many thanks, this really helped!  I believe that John was unlucky in facing a great enemy. Philip of France.  A skilled warrior doesn't necessarily mean a great king and vice versa.

I agree with both your points.  Glad it was still useful and thank you for adding to the historical debate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users