Slave Abolition And The Enlightenment

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 08:11 PM

i want to ask about one little thing. we were asked to "demostrate understanding" about the influences of the social. which means the culture, the beliefs and the opinions of people might different about slavery. how did different socials influenced to the culture, beliefs and opinions of people about slavery? where can i find those information or which structure of information should i write about these?( i don't even understand!==')

Yes - it does all seem very complicated.
Perhaps if you asked your teacher to explain more fully what he meant.

I can, however, understand how different people would have different attitudes to slavery depending on their place in society, and their culture, beliefs and opinions.

I rich slave trader would think very differently to a gentle clergyman, for example. Many of the pople who led the campaign against the slave trade were Christians.
Women were very much against the slave trade, much more than men.
People in Bristol, which depending on the slave trade, might think differently to people in a small village inland.
That sort of thing...

#17 truongvan

truongvan
  • Student
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:50 AM

i want to ask about one little thing. we were asked to "demostrate understanding" about the influences of the social. which means the culture, the beliefs and the opinions of people might different about slavery. how did different socials influenced to the culture, beliefs and opinions of people about slavery? where can i find those information or which structure of information should i write about these?( i don't even understand!==')

Yes - it does all seem very complicated.
Perhaps if you asked your teacher to explain more fully what he meant.

I can, however, understand how different people would have different attitudes to slavery depending on their place in society, and their culture, beliefs and opinions.

I rich slave trader would think very differently to a gentle clergyman, for example. Many of the pople who led the campaign against the slave trade were Christians.
Women were very much against the slave trade, much more than men.
People in Bristol, which depending on the slave trade, might think differently to people in a small village inland.
That sort of thing...

that's helped a lot!!!!!!! thanks! i love this forum!

#18 Georgia <3

Georgia <3
  • Student
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 05:44 PM

I first got interested in the slave trade after watching the film 'Amazing Grace'. It was on during the week that they were celebrating the abolition of the slave trade. Anyway I thought I would be bored stiff but it really opened my eyes to what happened. I know not to trust absolutely everything because it was a film but I was still disgusted at people even thinking about having a slave. I guess that shows how well the world has moved on and how well my parents raised me not to treat people differently because everyone is equal.

I guess one feeling on the matter is that most people didn't know about the terrible conditions that the slaves were in, the slave traders did but I don't think many other people actually saw.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users