Cavour

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jessica

jessica
  • Student
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:39 AM

Can someone help me with this essay title? I have no idea where to start/what to include:

Do you agree with the view that 'Cavour hindered the process of Italian unification'? Explain your answer.(From Advanced Level of Hong Kong)

Thanks

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 23 November 2007 - 10:52 AM

I agree.
It is hard to see how it might be argued that Cavour HINDERED unification.

On the subject in general this site - http://www.age-of-th...nification.html - look fantastic, with loads of detaul about Cavour's actions and their consequences, but if you put
Cavour "Italian unification"
or
Cavour Risorgimento
into google you will get lots of other sites.
But most of these simply list the thing he did to HELP unification.

But can it be argued that he HINDERED unification?
There is an essay on your topic on the web:
http://www.thecorner.org/cgi-bin/forum ... post=224
and a less-impressive one here

I think perhaps there is particularly something to be gained by exploring along the lines of what REAL unification would have been - the idea that Cavour's unification was just a Piedmontese takeover ... and bringing in that quote 'We have created Italy, now we must creat Italians'... etc.

If I were doing the essay, I would start by saying:
There are some arguments that could be put forward to suggest that Caour actually hindered REAL unification... (and then list and explain them)

Then I would say:
But, to be honest, these are ridiculous compared to the huge weight of evidence that Cavour contributed hugely to HELP unficiation, and - in some ways - could be said to be its architect.
And then I would list and explain all the things he did to help unification.

Finish with a conclusion which cleverly resolves the dilemma of the apparent dichotomy - perhaps something along the lines of 'to make an omlette you have to crack a few eggs'.

#3 jessica

jessica
  • Student
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 10:53 AM

Thanks a lot. Your advice is useful to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users