Elizabeth And Council

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hermannjp

hermannjp
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:50 AM

I am doing my coursework on how great a control Elizabeth had over her councillors.
And I was curious whether there was any extra reading I cound find.

So far I have books like Haigh's Eliz I; AGR Smith Emergence of a nation state; MAR Graves Burghley; Read Secretary Cecil

But what I was really looking for was any work from Neale? or any other scholar who deals with Elizabeth-councillor relationship, any articles, websites, or a brief reading list will be much much appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Herman

PS/ if my essay is going to focus on Elizabeth and her councillors, is it appropriate that I deal with factionalism(which is the argument from Neale and other traditionalists that Elizabeth ruled by faction like a divide-and-rule approach)?
Obviously, not letting it be the dominant feature of the essay, but certainly of an appreciable portion.

#2 Miss Buxton

Miss Buxton
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 479 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 06:38 PM

Hope these help.....

Try these:
Neale, J.E. Queen Elizabeth I: A Biography. London: Jonathan Cape, (1934) 1954 reprint.
Brimacombe, Peter. All the Queen's Men: The World of Elizabeth I. New York: St Martin's Press, 2000.
Elton, G.R. England under the Tudors. London: Routledge, 1991
Guy, John, Tudor England, Oxford 1988.
Lotherington, John, The Tudor Years, London 1994.
The Mid-Tudor Polity c.1540-1560 by Jennifer Loach, Robert Tittler

Saunders, Will. “Faction in the Reign of Elizabeth I.” History Review March 2004 Issue 48 accessed 29 Sep 2005. available from Academic Search Premier.
The article written by Will Saunders examines the role that factions played in the decision-making that occurred under Queen Elizabeth. The article describes what a faction is then looks at different interpretations of her reign and how she ruled her court by twentieth century writers such as John Neale, Simon Adams, Susan Doran, and John Guy and Steven Alford (together). Their descriptions of Elizabeth differ dramatically, with Doran defending that Elizabeth was a strong monarch that ruled very assertively while Neale argues that she was highly influenced and manipulated by her advisors. Saunders is the head of history at the Persy School for Girls in Cambridge.

How effective a monarch was Elizabeth I

http://journals.cambridge.org

http://www.johnguy.co.uk/history.

http://departments.k.../elizabeth.html

#3 hermannjp

hermannjp
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:53 PM

Thank you so much for your help!
Um. about the Neale biography - I understand that this is the 'classic' biography written about Elizabeth, and when flicking through it, there's too much narrative and not much criticisms and it is more or less hard to track his argument on Elizabeth and her skilful management, taking it in chronological order. I can look through and pick up some parts such as the controversial settlement, marriage amongst others, but is there particular sections of the book that I can employ usefully in my essay or is much of it for background knowledge?

Thank you again.

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:52 PM

I appreciate what you say about Neale.
So many of the 'groundbreaking' older books, when you go to look at them, are just FULL of narrative, and you wonder how anybody ever found the 'new ideas' amongst all the description.
(The one that gets me is John Terraine's revision of Haig in The Educated Soldier)

Consequently, I think you are quite correct to approach Nele in the way you have, and - rather than trying to see his 'thesis' amidst all the facts - pick up the main points from either this wikipedia article, or from a historiogrpahical introduction in a more modern book. The just skim-read (index-read) relevant chunks of Neale for a good quote or two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users