Thanks for any help!
Alex

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 03 November 2008 - 11:29 PM

I think you need to address the issue in three parts:

1. What was the formal allotted role of the Privy Council in the government - in descriptive terms only, WHAT did it do.

but then go on to ask

2. How much influence did the Privy Council have in the government - assess how much say it had.

There are number of webpages which will help, though none of them go as deep as I think you will want to go - you will need to do some extra reading.

However, you need to be aware that recently there appears to have been a revision of attitudes to the power of the Privy Council, and so I would devote a final section to:

3. Was the Privy Council really so powerful - in which you address the possibility that it wasn;t as influential as was hitherto thought.
  • Useful for this will be Natalie Mears who argues (with other recent historians) that the Privy Council was NOT the hub of policy-formation, but that the court and public debate were more important.

#3 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:36 AM

I would add to the list of links Mr. Clare provided this one, John Guy's Tudors.org . This has a large number of articles designed for A-Level and undergraduate students. There are at least three potentially relevant articles to the question under discussion, including this one on 'Were Elizabethan politics factional?'

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users