Oliver Cromwell

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Molly7

Molly7
  • Student
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:25 PM

Was cromwell a bloody murderer for killing charles?
plz help! i hav written that soome ppl would think he is and some wouldnt so can u plz help with th rest
tyvm

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:38 PM

Basically, that is the right answer.
It all depends on what yo think about Charles.
For many people at the time, and for royalists thereafter, Charles was seen as a martyr, unfairly dying at the hands of an extremist - for many people, he was a saint.
In the 19th century, Charles was seen as a tyrant and a rotter who tried to to reduce the people to subjection, and Oliver Cromwell was the find hero of democracy who helped Parliament survive and prosper.

Today, many people find Cromwell's fundamentalism and tough line too extreme, but the fat remain that if e have a Parliamentary democracy in England we owe it to Cromwell's victory in the Civil War.

What was the 'last straw' for Cromwell and the Army was the Second Civil War.
They had beaten Charles fair a square in the First Civil War and were actually negotaiating with him.
But when he made a secret treaty with the Scots (at that time a foreign country) and caused another war in which their friends and fellows fell, they were really angry, and resovled to bring 'that man of blood' to account.

Cromwell is my hero - I think he's GREAT!
And I would have choppe Charles's head off myself - what a bad'un he was.

We get lots of requests about Cromwell, and there's loads about the two sides to looking at Cromwell if you do a forum search.

#3 princess23516

princess23516
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:43 PM

i would say that he was seeing as he killed him for no reason coz he only killed charles because he went into parliment and tried to arrest 5 mps for writing the 19 propositions which charles didn't agree with

another reason cromwell had killed charles was because he married that catholic princess henrietta who was a catholic and in them times, prodestants couldn't marry catholics as puritans (really religous prodestants) didn't like bishops, surplices, candles, book of common prayers etc which only catholics use and they thought that with charles marrying a catholic that he would bring in things from the catholic religion

I hope this helps!!!!!

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 09 December 2008 - 12:32 AM

i would say that he was seeing as he killed him for no reason coz he only killed charles because he went into parliment and tried to arrest 5 mps for writing the 19 propositions which charles didn't agree with

And what about the 11 Years Tyranny? And Ship Money? And the Star Chamber? And the Second Civil War?

Charles was a terrible monarch and Hurrah to Cromwell for ridding us of him.

#5 tigger13

tigger13
  • Student
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:33 PM

And the Seige of drogheda ?

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

And the Seige of drogheda ?

Ha! Good point.
There is a lot of debate about Drogheda - personally, i think there is more fuss made about it than it deserves - you can form your own opinion about it but you need to find out the opinions of Tom Reilly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users