Photo

World War One: Tanks And Technology

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skittlebaby1994

skittlebaby1994
  • Student
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:I like highbord diving and laughing sooo hard i fall over1!!! lol =D

Posted 14 December 2008 - 02:13 PM

:huh: please could you help me please?? im really stuck with this project im doing in history and i have tryed to look for the countering technology to the rifle but ive looked everywhere please could you piont me in the right direction pleeease!!

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 03:24 PM

The thing about WWI wa that there was NO countering technology to the bullet.
Soldiers wore khaki clothcoats and jackets.

There is a tragic description of the Newfoundlanders attacking at the battle of the Somme - the machine gun bullets were so thick that the men dipped their heads and turned up their collars as though they were advancing into a hailstorm.
They were not, of course, and they all got slaughtered.

Full body armour came much later thatn WWI.

Helmets were pretty useless against a direct strike by a bullet, but they could protect y against a glancing blow or a richochet.

#3 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,086 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 09 October 2011 - 02:58 PM

Just to add a little to Mr. Clare's answer, albeit somewhat belatedly.

I think the answer they were looking for might have been the tank. There is a Spartacus Schoolnet page on the earliest British tank here. However, the prototype had to be modified before it became the one you might have seen in old films of the First World War. There is a page on the Mark I 'Mother' here.

Taking 'technology' in a wider sense, you could argue that trenches were an answer to modern rifles, machine guns and artillery. However, trenches were a defensive measure, so the problem of how to attack and defeat troops using modern weapons remained. For more on this issue, do a forum search on 'stalemate' or 'trenches'.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users