Ocr Paper Two GCSE Modern World Studies

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:55 PM

A pupil has contacted me and asked what he should be doing for this exam, and what key points might come up.

It is not unusual to get confused at this stage; it IS OK to ask for help!

According to the specification:

Paper 2 (1 hour 30 minutes)
There will be a total of 50 marks.
This paper will involve the detailed investigation of an historical issue taken from the British
Depth Study. All questions will be compulsory. There will be no fewer than five and no more
than seven questions set on a range of source material. Candidates will be expected to use their
contextual knowledge to help them comprehend, interpret, evaluate and use the sources and
historical interpretations and representations they are given

and, also according to the specification, the exam will be on the following content:

BRITISH DEPTH STUDY
Key Question: How was British society changed, 1906-1918?
Focus Points

Why did the Liberal government introduce reforms to help the young, old and unemployed?
How effective were these reforms?
What were the arguments for and against female suffrage?
How effective were the activities of the suffragists and the suffragettes?
How did women contribute to the war effort?
How were civilians affected by the war?
How effective was government propaganda during the war?
Why were some women given the vote in 1918?
What was the attitude of the British people at the end of the war towards Germany and the Paris
Peace Conference?

Specified Content
Reasons for the Liberal reforms; poverty in 1906. The Childrens’ Charter, old age pensions
1909, Labour Exchanges 1909, the National Insurance Act 1911. The arguments for and
against female suffrage, the WSPU and the NUWSS – their leaders, activities and the reactions
of the authorities. Women in employment during the First World War, the 1918 Representation
of the People Act. Recruiting. New government powers: the Defence of the Realm Act, 1914,
conscription, rationing, use of propaganda, and their impact on civilian life. The mood of the
British people at the end of the war and the different attitudes about what should happen to
Germany.

What kinds of 'sourcework' question will be set?
The best way to find this out is to look at past papers.
If you go to this webpage, you will see the Board's specimen paper and markscheme.
And you will find a question paper , and a markscheme (see page 59) for 2008.
Looking at these will tell you what KIND of questions you might face, and how the examiners want you to answer them. Looking at the examples, they seem to be basic sourcework skills such as extraction, usefulness, comparison, and questions asking 'how far' they support an idea. When you look at them, I'm sure you'll realise that your teacher has told you how to do them; if there are any you;re hazy on, post back and we'll remind you how to do them.

Finally, why not read the examiner's report from last year? That will tell you what pupils did right and did wrong, and hopefully help you when you do this year's exam.

What topics are coming up?
We had a pupil recently on the forum who was wondering this.
He had split the content into three main areas - liberal reforms, votes for women and home front - and you may be interested in what was said in the thread.
But it's best not to try to pre-guess the exam; revise the facts about the period and events specified above, but in the exam, remember that you are being examined on your ability to use that knowledge to deal with sources.
ATBQ!!!

#2 DCY006

DCY006
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:45 PM

Hey i'm a little confused as to what topics my exam is on, I am doing Core Content with Germany (OCR) and was wondering if this was what I'd be doing in Paper 2?
Or will my paper 2 also be on Germany 1918-1945 like my Paper 1

I'm just a little confused as my teacher did take a few weeks to teach us about the History of Britain then seemed to go back to focus on Germany for the remaining two months or so

#3 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:04 PM

Hey i'm a little confused as to what topics my exam is on, I am doing Core Content with Germany (OCR) and was wondering if this was what I'd be doing in Paper 2?
Or will my paper 2 also be on Germany 1918-1945 like my Paper 1

I'm just a little confused as my teacher did take a few weeks to teach us about the History of Britain then seemed to go back to focus on Germany for the remaining two months or so

All a bit late to be confused now, but as I see it Paper Two tomorrow will be on the British Depth Study as I explained above.
I am just a little unsure, because I don;t teach this Board, but I have asked other teachers to correct me if I am wrong, and nobody has.
So - according to the specification - Paper Two tomorrow will be on the British Depth Study, and not on Germany.

If you;re still unsure, why not phone couple of friends and check with them.

#4 DCY006

DCY006
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:04 PM

Ok thanks for the reply, I got unsure answers from my mates which is why I asked here. Atleast now I can go over my notes on Britain tonight and tomorrow morning with my exam at 1:00pm

#5 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

I'm pretty sure I'm right.

#6 sniffany

sniffany
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:11 PM

Hey
Wondered if you had the 2009 OCR papers you could post? I have just done my mock and it was paper 1 and 2 of june 2009 - wanted to check over my answers.

#7 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 11 January 2010 - 06:59 PM

I don't personally, and there are none on this forum.
Your teacher will have access to them through an OCR service called 'Interchange' - your best bet is to ask your teacher.

#8 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 14 June 2010 - 04:52 PM

Hey
Wondered if you had the 2009 OCR papers you could post? I have just done my mock and it was paper 1 and 2 of june 2009 - wanted to check over my answers.

Have a look at this page from the OCR website. You will find links to past papers and mark schemes etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users