Was The Gunpowder Plot A Conspiracy?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 salman10023

salman10023
  • Student
  • 41 posts

Posted 23 September 2009 - 06:49 PM

I need help im doing this in school anyone with information is all much appreciated thank you

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 07:01 PM

As always,I would start with the History Learning site

But there is loads on google

#3 salman10023

salman10023
  • Student
  • 41 posts

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:16 PM

As always,I would start with the History Learning site

But there is loads on google

Thank you so much sir if you have any tips keep posting!

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:43 AM

Can't prove anything, but it all smells 'fishy' to me.

Can you say what is 'fishy' about these facts:
1. Only the government could sell gunpowder, and Catholics weren't allowed to buy any.
2. The man who owned the cellar died suddenly on 5 November 1605.
3. Fawkes was an ordinary soldier - a nobody - he was not a lord or a leader
4. When they went to get the plotters, the king's men killed both the leaders, and Tresham died later in prison.

#5 salman10023

salman10023
  • Student
  • 41 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:36 PM

Can't prove anything, but it all smells 'fishy' to me.

Can you say what is 'fishy' about these facts:
1. Only the government could sell gunpowder, and Catholics weren't allowed to buy any.
2. The man who owned the cellar died suddenly on 5 November 1605.
3. Fawkes was an ordinary soldier - a nobody - he was not a lord or a leader
4. When they went to get the plotters, the king's men killed both the leaders, and Tresham died later in prison.

Yes sir,

1. FACT ONE: If Gunpowder was that heavily guarded (usually stored in places such as the Tower of London) how did a group of 12 Catholics manage to steal 36 barrols of them into the house of parliment?.
2. FACT TWO: We know that the owner of the Cellar was a relative of Robert Cecil so Cecil probably was framing the catholics as he was a hater and wanted to get rid of them. Robert Cecil probably let the cellar owner on the secret as it was a part of his plan but after he had succeeded he arranged a way of killing the Cellar owner so he wouldn't spill the beans.
3. FACT THREE: I dont know this one sir, can you give the answer?
4. FACT FOUR: Why was Tresham arrested first and not killed the rest? And how did he mysteriously die in prison?

Was I right sir?

Can you post me back with the answers Thank you :D

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 01:24 AM

... 3. Fawkes was an ordinary soldier - a nobody - he was not a lord or a leader...

...3. FACT THREE: I dont know this one sir, can you give the answer?...

In these facts you are honing into the conspiracy theory about the conspiracy.

Do you know what a 'patsy' is? A 'fall guy'?
In the 16th century, a set of lords and gentlemen would NEVER allow themselves to be led by an ordinary soldier.
Guy Fawkes being the leader of the plot is as likely as blaming some counter clerk for the collapse of a big bank, or the cleaning lady for the bankruptcy of a great company.
The argument is that Fawkes was set up to take the blame (and the torture and execution).

There is almost general agreement nowadays that, even if they did not set up the whole thing as a publicity stunt to confirm James's 'Protestant credentials' the government knew about it but let it go ahead so that they could get the good publicity and public support that would follow a thwarted assassination attempt.

PS do you know anything about the murder of Kennedy by Lee Harvey Oswad and the conspiracy theories that surround that. There argument there is the same; that Oswald was indeed caught red-handed, but that he was hired and used as a patsy -- as a distraction.

#7 salman10023

salman10023
  • Student
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 02:52 PM

sir I'm on my last paragraph of the homwork I need a good conclusion but i a struggleing could you kindly help?
thank you, :D

#8 salman10023

salman10023
  • Student
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 03:23 PM

PS do you know anything about the murder of Kennedy by Lee Harvey Oswad and the conspiracy theories that surround that. There argument there is the same; that Oswald was indeed caught red-handed, but that he was hired and used as a patsy -- as a distraction.

Conspiracy theorists claim that Ruby was involved with major figures in organized crime and killed Oswald as part of an overall plot surrounding the assassination of Kennedy. Others have disputed this, arguing that his connection with gangsters was minimal at best and that he was not the sort to be entrusted with such an act within a high-level conspiracy.

#9 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

sir I'm on my last paragraph of the homwork I need a good conclusion but i a struggleing could you kindly help?

Start with the word 'THEREFORE...' and tell the reader what you think about it all, given what you have said in the rest of your essay.
Sometimes it's good to 'hold back' a good fact, and drop it into the conclusion to give it that extra bit of surprise.

#10 salman10023

salman10023
  • Student
  • 41 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 10:31 PM

Start with the word 'THEREFORE...' and tell the reader what you think about it all, given what you have said in the rest of your essay.
Sometimes it's good to 'hold back' a good fact, and drop it into the conclusion to give it that extra bit of surprise.

Posted Image

Well done sir how do you do it, how do you answer so many peoples questions at once mazing thank you very very much sir. with your help i think I have produced some good quality essay work. :D

I would like you to read this as a token of my appreciation sir thank you,

#11 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:10 AM

It's a pleasure to help, and thank you so much for saying thank you.
Let's hope you get a good mark!
:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users