Help ! - As Choices

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 l333

l333
  • Student
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 05:53 PM

I am in year 11 and i am really unsure what to do for AS levels. I definitely want to take French and Law and then I am trying to decide whether to take history . Does anyone take history for AS and if so , do you enjoy it ?

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:38 PM

Does anyone take history for AS and if so , do you enjoy it ?

So, some 40 people have looked at this, but no replies? Are we all too tired, worried that we might be too negative? Of course, Mr. Clare or another teacher could give a reply, but it would be more representative coming from a student member. Be honest, but objective.

#3 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 13 February 2010 - 09:10 PM

I am in year 11 and i am really unsure what to do for AS levels. I definitely want to take French and Law and then I am trying to decide whether to take history . Does anyone take history for AS and if so , do you enjoy it ?

Back again, as I wanted to cross-reference this thread with another thread on a similar theme.

As no-one else seems to want to stick their head above the parapet, I will give you a brief teacher's view of A-level History. History at A-Level is a demanding subject. Success at GCSE is not a guarantee of a good A-Level grade. Indeed, some of my best students hadn't done GCSE History. You need to be able to take in and remember a fair amount of factual material and then, under the stress of examinations, answer a question using a clear written argument. You may be looking at a period which is new to you, or perhaps at an already familiar one in greater depth.

Obviously, I would argue that History is worth doing at A-Level. More importantly, many of my students continue their historical studies at university, which, presumably means that they enjoy it. If you are enjoying GCSE History, then it is likely, but not certain, that you will enjoy it at A-Level. And you will certainly be doing your chances of university entrance no harm at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users