• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jsmith613

jsmith613
  • Student
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 10:46 AM

Dear Community,

I am writing for myself a revision guide on how to answer EACH question in the OCR History B GCSE.

I have two questions concerning the source questions for both Paper 1 (german depth study) and Paper 2 (british depth

1) If I get a question such as: "How far do these sources suggest that ...", will I get full marks if I do the following

- Use the source to backup the statement - then use contextual knowledge OR purpose OR other evaluation methods to backup the quote
- If possible, use the source to veto the statement - then use contextual knowledge OR purpose OR other evaluation methods to backup the quote
- Use contextual knowledge to comment on what the source DOES not mention ensuring it is relevant
- Finally, conclude with answering "How far"

2) To reach the top mark for a source-based question I know that I MUST use the source to backup a statement. Following this, can I use JUST one of the following factors
- Contextual knowledge
- Source Purpose
- Cross reference
- Tone / Authorship of the source
(The main question really is, do i HAVE to include contextual knowledge if I refer to the sources purpose / tone etc...)

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 12:55 PM

These would be good answers, but I'm not prepared to say that that is all you have to say - you will need to check with your own teacher whether that is what HE is wanting you to say.

Personally, I would say that you HAVE to include contextual knowledge if you refer to the sources purpose / tone.

For further guidance, you might want to look at the Candidate Sample Answers in the Support Materials section of the OCR History documents.

And I know it's about AQA, but the principles are very similar, and you might want to check out the guidance on this webpage.

#3 jsmith613

jsmith613
  • Student
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 01:44 PM

Personally, I would say that you HAVE to include contextual knowledge if you refer to the sources purpose / tone.

For further guidance, you might want to look at the Candidate Sample Answers in the Support Materials section of the OCR History documents.

Thank you for your comment and ideas. I will use the documents you provided me with to hone my techniques and will do my best, after what you said, to include contextual knowledge for any source-based question.

Thanks again :)

#4 Mr Hewson

Mr Hewson
  • Student
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

I would say that the OCR Modern World Paper 2 exam is asking for much more in terms of contextual knowledge in the past 2 years than it had previously- for example, in questions where you are asked to evaluate two sources (worth 9 marks) you could get 7 for evaluation by tone/language/purpose but can get 8 or 9 for evaluation by context.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users