• Student
  • 95 posts
  • Interests:Anthropology
    Existentialism
    History
    Philosophy
    Psychology

Posted 19 July 2010 - 03:44 PM

Did the Cuban Missile Crisis stop or cause the arms race?

After the crisis, nuclear peace treaties, such as the Nuclear Test Ban Treaty, were established.

However, I've also read that the crisis motivated the Soviets be on par with the US in number of nuclear missiles, with the arms race escalating with Brzezinsky's Finlandisation incorporated into Reagan's systematic challenge.

Thank you.

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 11:06 PM

The generally-accepted wisdom is that it was the start of detente.
Certainly both sides had scared themselves to death.
However, I always thought that the hot line and a Test Ban Treaty, followed by NOTHING is hardly a convincing detente!
I think I agree with you - if Cuba made them think, they did not think very long.

#3 nasnas

nasnas
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 11:52 PM

The generally-accepted wisdom is that it was the start of detente.
Certainly both sides had scared themselves to death.
However, I always thought that the hot line and a Test Ban Treaty, followed by NOTHING is hardly a convincing detente!
I think I agree with you - if Cuba made them think, they did not think very long.

i am researching into the role of kennedy and the cuban missile crisis for a 7500 work dissertation. i have already begun research into the excom meetings and some of kennedy's decisions.

what do you think would be a good question in particular to direct my essay and research into. a dissertation title?

best wishes. hope to hear from you soon.

nasnas

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 12:59 AM

i am researching into the role of kennedy and the cuban missile crisis for a 7500 work dissertation. i have already begun research into the excom meetings and some of kennedy's decisions.
what do you think would be a good question in particular to direct my essay and research into. a dissertation title?

Strictly, we aren't allowed to give any help for dissertations - it can get you disqualified for cheating - and any help that we do give is usually acompanied by a plea that you cite our help in your bibliography.

In order to avoid this, I will confine my answer to general ideas, rather than specific advice.

It strikes me that most modern history begins with a survey of the historiography -- how historians have interpreted this event in the past.
They use this as a survey of the topic, before they divulge their specific aim, which is usually to challenge or develop the current orthodoxy/ideas in some way or another.

Perhaps you could easily do this with the Crisis -- surveying how Kennedy's role has been interpreted in books (and in the film 13 Days) in the past, and then using your research to challenge one or all of those interpretations.

This gives you a fairly easy title: Is <interpretation> right?
and the chance to do some close analysis of facts-against-theories.

(PS I have deleted your other post; there's no point in saying the same thing twice.)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users