Help With Understanding !

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PolarBear

PolarBear
  • Student
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 04:30 PM

Im currently doing As level history, and find it really hard due to the lack of support from the teachers. Im constantly receiving E's and D's in my essays. I got an A in my gcse history and was really looking forward to this year, but Ive been a bit let down. We have done slavery and currently finsihing off the american revolution. In addition to this, throughout the whole year we've ben doing ( and sstill are doing) the chaning roles of women in Britain 1860-1930. I need some kind of guiadanc ein terms of what it takes to achieve certain criteria in the subjects. What are the examiners looking for, what are the type of things that may come up. The teachers are really vague, and tend to contradict themselves. One is an NQT and the other is one that should have retired a long time ago and has a very 'whatever' approach. I would really appreciate any help possible, especially for the slavery unit as we have no resources, such as text books etc. I appreciate that I ma asking for a lot of information and help here, but Ive just found this forum, and looking at it, I think it may be just what I need to help me.

Thank you

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,069 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 22 March 2011 - 05:12 PM

First thing to remember is that AS History is a big step up from GCSE. So, don't worry, you are not the only one having problems.

Before we help, it would be good if you could let us know which exam board (OCR, AQA, EDexcel?) and papers you are doing.

#3 PolarBear

PolarBear
  • Student
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:10 PM

First thing to remember is that AS History is a big step up from GCSE. So, don't worry, you are not the only one having problems.

Before we help, it would be good if you could let us know which exam board (OCR, AQA, EDexcel?) and papers you are doing.

Hi sorry for the late reply.... the exam board we are using is edexcel. I have 2 history papers, but thats about all I know in terms of the specification type.

Edited by PolarBear, 22 March 2011 - 10:22 PM.

#4 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:28 PM

Hi sorry for the late reply.... the exam board we are suing is edexcel. I have 2 history papers, but thats about all I know in terms of the specification type.

Right: If I have got this right, for Unit 1, Historical Themes in Breadth, you are doing:

C2 Relations with the American Colonies and the War of Independence, c1740-89

Relations between the American colonies and the Mother Country, 1740-63: commerce, governance and Anglo-French rivalry.
British policies towards the colonies and the growth of opposition, 1763-75.
The American Revolution: causes, course and reasons for colonies’ success in achieving independence.
The impact of independence on Britain and America, 1783-89.

C3 The Slave Trade, Slavery and the Anti-slavery Campaigns, c1760-1833

Reasons for, and growing extent of, British involvement in the slave trade.
The structure and operation of slavery in British colonies.
The anti-slavery campaigns: the role of the Evangelical movement; the roles of Thomas Clarkson and William Wilberforce; the nature of support for abolition.
Nature and extent of, and reasons for, opposition and resistance to the anti-slave trade and anti-slavery movements and reasons why this opposition failed; abolition of the slave trade in 1807 and abolition of slavery in the Empire in 1833.

For Unit 2, British History Depth Studies, you are doing:

C2 Britain, c1860-1930: The Changing Position of Women and the Suffrage Question

The changing personal status of women: marriage, divorce, children and property; challenges to the ‘angel in the house’ concept.
Women’s changing role within the political system: participation in local government; origins and impact of the suffragist and suffragette campaigns; the impact of the First World War on the suffrage question.
Attitudes of politicians, Parliament and the public to the suffrage question; the Liberal Government, 1906-14; the Parliament Act (1918), the Equal Franchise Act (1928) and their immediate impact.
Changing educational opportunities for women and girls and the impact of these for workplace opportunities; the opening of universities and professions to women.

This information comes from the Specification for these examinations which is available on the Edexcel website at this page.

Now, this same page could be really useful, because it also has the Mark Schemes for your papers. Unfortunately, the most recent ones cannot be downloaded except by your school. However, the mark schemes for January and June 2009 can be downloaded. It's probably easier to start with January 2009, because they are not all bundled together. The same page also has copies of Question Papers and Examiner Reports.

I would suggest very strongly that you download these documents and read them through. They are not easy to understand, but the mark schemes will show you what you are required to do and the examiner's reports will give you further help. It may be a good idea to go through them with your teachers. If they cannot or will not, then find a tutor who will take you through the requirements.

We will be happy to answer specific enquiries if we can. Good luck.

#5 PolarBear

PolarBear
  • Student
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 March 2011 - 10:43 PM

Thank you very much Mr. Bryant, this will really help me out. The only other thing I would like to trouble you for is if you know of any slavery websites which might provide some revision notes. Ive found a lot of websites regarding the american war of independance, a fair few on the changing role of women, but I havent been very successful with the slavery. Once again thank you for your help

#6 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 23 March 2011 - 11:17 PM

Thank you very much Mr. Bryant, this will really help me out. The only other thing I would like to trouble you for is if you know of any slavery websites which might provide some revision notes. Ive found a lot of websites regarding the american war of independance, a fair few on the changing role of women, but I havent been very successful with the slavery. Once again thank you for your help

The short answer is no. However, I will have a look around and see what I can find, although it will take a bit of time.I suspect that most of them will be at a lower level than you need.

#7 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:25 AM

Not quite what you were asking for, but may be of interest. This is the Unit 1, Topic C3 reading list from the Edexcel website:

Topic C3: The Slave Trade, Slavery and the Anti-Slavery Campaigns, c1760-1833

Jordan M — The Great Abolition Sham: The True Story of the End of the British Slave Trade,
Sutton Publishing, 2007
Klein H S — The Atlantic Slave Trade, Cambridge University Press, 1999
Morgan K M – Slavery and the British Empire (Oxford University Press, 2008)
Reddie R — The Struggle to Abolish Slavery in the British Empire, Lion Hudson, 2007
Smith S D —Slavery, Family and Gentry Capitalism in the British Atlantic, Cambridge University
Press, Cambridge Studies in Economic History, 2006
Solow B L and Engerman S — British Capitalism and Caribbean Slavery: The Legacy of Eric
Williams, (Cambridge University Press, 2004)
Tomkins S — William Wilberforce: a Biography (Lion Hudson, 2007)
Thomas H — The Slave Trade: History of the Atlantic Slave Trade 1440-1870 (Routledge, 1996)
Walvin J — Black Ivory: Slavery in the British Empire, Second Edition (Blackwell, 2001)
Walvin J — Questioning Slavery (Routledge, 1996)
Walvin J — A Short History of Slavery (Penguin Books, 2007)
Walvin J — The Trader, the Owner, the Slave: Parallel Lives in the Age of Slavery, (Jonathan
Cape, 2007)

Will try to get back to you soon on websites. Have any of your friends doing the same course found anything?

#8 PolarBear

PolarBear
  • Student
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:24 PM

Yes Ive found some websites, thank you for your help Mr.Bryant.

#9 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:46 PM

Yes Ive found some websites, thank you for your help Mr.Bryant.

I'm so glad it was some use: thank you for letting us know. If you have any more questions, contact us.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users