Sg Hisitory People And Power India

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bendorian

Bendorian
  • Student
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 05:37 PM

Does anybody know where I can get some notes, and or summary notes, for Standard Grade History people nad Power India 1917-1947. I have tried bitesize and there is nothing there and even on the BBC Bitesize facebook page and they can't help me. Plz help!

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,068 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 07 May 2011 - 12:18 PM

Does anybody know where I can get some notes, and or summary notes, for Standard Grade History people nad Power India 1917-1947. I have tried bitesize and there is nothing there and even on the BBC Bitesize facebook page and they can't help me. Plz help!

Welcome to the forum. The short answer at the moment is no, however we will keep looking and let you know if we find something.

However, I think your best option is to have a look on Amazon (similar sites are available) which has a number of books with potential relevance. I have checked one of them, Standard Grade History: Student Book (Success Guides) by Colin Bagnall, which does have notes but not on your Unit (III.B). Unfortunately your unit is not of the most popular, so it doesn't feature in the Heinemann series of SG textbooks. It might be a case of approaching your local bookshop and asking if you can order some and send them back if they are of no use. Failing that, how about the Public Library system? They are usually very helpful. Or, as a lst resort, finding an equivalent (GCSE) textbook or revision notes on India and using that for want of anything better.

#3 Bendorian

Bendorian
  • Student
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:21 PM

Thanks, if you find anything could you just post a reply - may thanks once again. I have found a book on amazon:http:

www.amazon.co.uk/1900-47-Heinamann-Advanced-History-Heinemann/dp/043532778X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305206364&sr=8-1

Do you think it would do as a textbook for the SG History India topic which i could make notes from?

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:40 PM

Thanks, if you find anything could you just post a reply - may thanks once again. I have found a book on amazon:http:

www.amazon.co.uk/1900-47-Heinamann-Advanced-History-Heinemann/dp/043532778X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1305206364&sr=8-1

Do you think it would do as a textbook for the SG History India topic which i could make notes from?

It can't do any harm.
If it is like the other Heinemann Advanced History books, it will be clear, comprehensive and a good basic outline.
You will need to remember that it is not directly aimewd at your course, but I bet many of the issues it raises will be relevant.

According to the syllabus, this unit of SG History addresses:

The influence of the British Raj on the government of India, including education, communications, trade, and on the development of democracy
The Raj and the government of India
The development and use of railways
Changing attitudes of Britain towards selfgovernment
Discontent in India arising from:
• economic exploitation
• political and social discrimination
• religious and social divisions amongst Indians
• The Salt Tax
• The caste system
Gandhi’s non-violent opposition to British rule, 1917-1941
Gandhi’s tactics
Resistance leading to violence: Amritsar The Amritsar Massacre, 1919
Indian rejection of British initiatives:
• Simon Commission, 1927
• Cripps Mission, 1942
Support for the Congress Party and the Muslim League
Muslim direct action, and the roles of Jinnah and Nehru
Indian independence and partition
Lord Mountbatten and the partition of India

Just make sure you concentrate on these topics as you read and note Rosemary Rees's textbook.

#5 Bendorian

Bendorian
  • Student
  • 27 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 11:53 AM

thanks for the advice. You don't happen to know of any standard grade textbooks that cover this topic? I've looked but there seems to be nothing out there but there must be something as what do the people who do this topic learn from!

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 13 May 2011 - 02:47 PM

You don't happen to know of any standard grade textbooks that cover this topic?

No. Crazy isn't it.

#7 Bendorian

Bendorian
  • Student
  • 27 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 04:38 PM

do you happen to know if the Hodder Gibson book "How to Pass STandard Grade History" covers the India topic?

#8 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 07:03 PM

do you happen to know if the Hodder Gibson book "How to Pass STandard Grade History" covers the India topic?

Sorry (I'm failing pretty miserably at this at the moment) I spent quite some time yesterday trying to find a contents list and couldn't.
So I don't know.
You could phone the publishers.

#9 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:44 AM

There is a review of it here. It's not absolutely clear, but seems to imply that your unit is not covered.

#10 Bendorian

Bendorian
  • Student
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:47 AM

I really need help with the Amritsar Massacre - the background, the stages of the event and the effectt/impact - Thanks

#11 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,068 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 03:11 PM

I really need help with the Amritsar Massacre - the background, the stages of the event and the effectt/impact - Thanks

For the consequences, have a look at this recent thread.

#12 Bendorian

Bendorian
  • Student
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:36 PM

I found another book "Britain and India 1845-1947" (Access to History) by Tim Leadbeater - does anyone know of this covers the standard garde India topic syllabus. Also plz reply to me previous post regarding the Amritsar Massacre - I really need help!!!!!

#13 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 08:48 PM

I found another book "Britain and India 1845-1947" (Access to History) by Tim Leadbeater - does anyone know of this covers the standard garde India topic syllabus. Also plz reply to me previous post regarding the Amritsar Massacre - I really need help!!!!!

The Access to History series is a general history series, aimed at 'A-level' level; it is not aimed at Standard Grade.

On Amritsar, wikipedia is as good as anything.

This page tells you what churchill said about it.
This book (1984?) is a very anti-British account of the massacre.

And here are some clips from the Times.

#14 Bendorian

Bendorian
  • Student
  • 27 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:20 PM

Thanks. What was the Salt tax and the Caste System?

#15 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:32 PM

Thanks. What was the Salt tax and the Caste System?

The caste system was the Indian class system. It was bsed on the Hindu religion of reincarnation, which divided humankind into 'grades' of being, with the Brahmins (priests) at the top and the Pariahs (dogs/outcasts) at the bottom. It is an issue because Ganhdi broke caste rules by mixing with pariahs.

The British forbade Indians to make their own salt - which was really easy in a hot country like India (you just let sea water evaporate). This was because, as they had to buy it in the shops, the British could charge a tax on it. This was particularly cruel, because in so hot a country, salt was essential to life - it was like taxing air.
Thus it was the Salt Tax that Gandhi chose for his campaign of civil disobedience - he went on the Salt March and made some salt at the seaside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users