• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Szabba

Szabba
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 07:40 PM

Hi,

I'm aware that there may be a question on the effects of industrialisation on creating, or contributing, to popular discontent in the 1810s. However, I don't really know enough to form any sort of decent essay answer, I know about Luddites and change in farming methods but that's about it.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks.

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:20 PM

Good question, to which the only answer, I'm afraid, is research.
Scout through some of the problems of the decade, and see how much they were ascribable to industrialisation.

This site seems a good enough start, especially when you follow the links.

Then google and chase some of the individual events, such as the Pentrich Rebellion, and the Spa Fields Riot.

By this time you will be beginning to build up enough factual knowledge to formulate your theories - which you can trot out in answer of any question they might ask you.

Have you any specific questions in mind?

#3 Szabba

Szabba
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 05:14 PM

Hi,

Firstly thank you for your quick reply.

No, I do not really have any specific questions in mind but the websites you have linked will be very useful. I will take your advice and just trawl through the web and books to see what I can find.

Thank you for your help.

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 06:02 PM

When I was doing A-Level I just LOVED the Pentrich Rebellion, with its agent provocateur 'Oliver the Spy'!
And the Luddites are really interesting - there were some mills where the workforce armed themselves and mounted guard on their factory to STOP the Luddites!
When I was a Pathfinder Camp leader, we used to call the huge mallet 'Enoch', a biblical reference which was also used by the Luddites - 'Great Enoch shall lead the van!'

Don't forget to google the 'Blanketeers'.

Another thing you need to perhaps think about is the connection of this to the movement for the repeal of the Combination Acts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users