Have I Messed Up ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 daznov11

daznov11
  • Student
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:05 PM

I think I've messed up to a major extent in my two essays. I thought both had gone well but I made two big mistakes in the essays.

1) In the German Nationalism essay I made many spelling errors such as Zollverien, Kliendeutsch and Calsband decrees.

2) In the Liberals essay I spelled Lassiez-faire without the "z"

I do get to use a computer as I have dyslexia but my history teacher said that if we didn't take the time to learn these spellings then the marker would take off many points. I'm now worried that I might fail since I got all my argument in as well as knowledge so basically what I'm asking is how heavily penalised will I be.

Thank you. :)

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:01 PM

Don't worry AT ALL!!!

As long as you got the spellings near enough for the examiner to know what you were talking about, then you won't lose ANY of the however-many-marks-it-is for the historical content (ie all the marks shown).

Sometimes a markscheme will award a further 3 marks for grammar and spelling.
Sometimes it says that to get full marks for a question you have to use good grammar and spelling.
But this only affects a tiny fraction of the marks.

And if you have special consideration for your dyslexia, you may find you don't even lose those.

Your teacher is going on that way because he wants to frighten the non-dyslexic pupils into getting it right.
All you need to realise is that he's not speaking to you.

Of course you're going to TRY to get the spellings right.
But if you don't, trust me, it won't make any significant difference to your final mark if you've got the content correct.

#3 daznov11

daznov11
  • Student
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:45 PM

Don't worry AT ALL!!!

As long as you got the spellings near enough for the examiner to know what you were talking about, then you won't lose ANY of the however-many-marks-it-is for the historical content (ie all the marks shown).

Sometimes a markscheme will award a further 3 marks for grammar and spelling.
Sometimes it says that to get full marks for a question you have to use good grammar and spelling.
But this only affects a tiny fraction of the marks.

And if you have special consideration for your dyslexia, you may find you don't even lose those.

Your teacher is going on that way because he wants to frighten the non-dyslexic pupils into getting it right.
All you need to realise is that he's not speaking to you.

Of course you're going to TRY to get the spellings right.
But if you don't, trust me, it won't make any significant difference to your final mark if you've got the content correct.

Oh that's good. I was getting 18 and 19 out of 20 in homework exercises and I was worried that bad spelling would result in a total fail so thanks for clearing that up. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users