Scramble For Africa

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 holly-sophia-ox

holly-sophia-ox
  • Student
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 02:33 PM

I have an A2 exam friday on international relations 1815-1914, i felt quite prepared until today when my tutor started talking about the scramble for Africa, to my horror I have hardly any notes on this section and the internet isnt proving that useful, i need to know at least a few key events that demonstrates tensions in international relationships between the great powers. If theres anyway you could help me i would be extremely greatful, just for some peace of mind so i know i have at least some knowledge on the topic. Thankyou :)

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 04:03 PM

Are you sure that the wikipedia article isn't helpful; it seems pretty full to me.
Africa was continually kicking up sparks - Zanzibar, Fashoda, Tangiers and Agadir, Boer War, Suez, Sudan etc.

The debate is about whether Africa helped to CAUSE WWI by creating such sparks, or whether - by providing a safety valve and plenty of 'spare capacity', it actually helped to delay war. It is relevant I think that WWI came when all the land in Africa had finally been taken.
You mUST know about the Berlin Conference of 1884-1885.

You might also want to look up WHY there was a scramble for Africa, not just in terms of the causes, but looking at the ideas iof historians like JA Hobson (1902), Gallagher and Robinson (1953) or Edward Said (1978).

Too late to buy it, but try to get hold of a copy of Frank McDonough's Access to History book on The British Empire, and read Chapter 3.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users