Changing Lives In Britain And Scotland 1750-1850

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Bendorian

Bendorian
  • Student
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 05:22 PM

What is the Enclosure Movement? I know it replaced the runrig system but it has something to do with passing laws. Also, does anyone know any revision sites which cover this unit?

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

early systems of land owenrship involved communal ownership of certain tracts of land, and community farming of other areas of land.
The Parliamentary Enclusore movement was the process by which wealtheir landowners could apply to Parliament for an act of enclosure which consolidated their communal and spread 'strip' holdings into a single 'farm'.
Try reading this.
It was called enclosure because they were bound to build a fence or a wall around their farm to 'enclose' their land.

Please note that enclosure in Scotland was different to enclosure in England. According to this document:

"One of the most striking differences between the English Parliamentary enclosure movement and enclosure in Scotland is that while they were co-incidental with each other in time, they were undertaken under entirely different legal environments. Several Acts of the Parliament of Scotland had been passed during the seventeenth century which facilitated the division of common ties, the re-organisation of intermingled holdings, and enclosure of the open fields. By 1695, any landowner wishing to enclose the farms on his estate was free to do so without recourse to Parliament."

#3 Bendorian

Bendorian
  • Student
  • 27 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 10:52 AM

Thanks - i have anothere question: What was the Speenhamland System? I found this definition:

"The Speenhamland System was a form of outdoor relief introduced in 1795. It was introduced to supplement the incomes of low-paid workers. It was also to help those on low incomes afford the price of bread.
It was based on the price of bread and the size of the worker’s family.
The impact of the Speenhamland System is as follows:
 Middle classes resented paying higher rates to pay for the system and resulted in the ‘ratepayers’ revolt’.
 It encouraged lower wages, larger families and a disincentive to work.

The Speenhamland System ended when the Poor law Amendment Act was passed in 1834."

is this all i need to know?

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 11:07 AM

Thanks - i have anothere question: What was the Speenhamland System? I found this definition:

"The Speenhamland System was a form of outdoor relief introduced in 1795. It was introduced to supplement the incomes of low-paid workers. It was also to help those on low incomes afford the price of bread.
It was based on the price of bread and the size of the worker’s family.
The impact of the Speenhamland System is as follows:
 Middle classes resented paying higher rates to pay for the system and resulted in the ‘ratepayers’ revolt’.
It encouraged lower wages, larger families and a disincentive to work.

The Speenhamland System ended when the Poor law Amendment Act was passed in 1834."

is this all i need to know?

I would have said that Opponents of the Speenhamland system of poor relief claimed that 'it encouraged lower wages, larger families and was a disincentive to work'.
It was a system which was too generous for its time, and the New Poor Law overturned it and instead consigned unemployed people to the workhouse.

#5 littlemissy

littlemissy
  • Teacher
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:21 PM

Hi,

I wouldn't worry too much about the Speenhamland System. Yes, know what it is, but you would never get asked a question purely on it.

Ensure you know not only what enclosures actually were, but also the effect the enclosure movement had, and reasons why it came about (i.e. inefficiencies in the runrig system).

As for revision materials, there's quite a lot out there. I'm afraid ours isn't online, but check out Cults Academy website (http://www.cults-academy.aberdeen.sch.uk click faculties-social subjects-history -standard grade)and Larkhall Academy have revision notes on audio files (http://www.larkhall.s-lanark.sch.uk/historydept.html)

#6 Bendorian

Bendorian
  • Student
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

Thanks for that. I know that in the 1820s, the Captain Swing riots started. What were the Captain Swing Riots all about?

#7 Bendorian

Bendorian
  • Student
  • 27 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

Just a message to say that Cults Academy have summary notes on their website for the Changing lives in Britain and Scotland 1750-1850.

Go to:

http://www.cults-academy.aberdeen.sch.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=832&Itemid=247

#8 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:59 PM

Thanks for that. I know that in the 1820s, the Captain Swing riots started. What were the Captain Swing Riots all about?

Good summary account here.
In a little more detail here.

In great academic depth here.

#9 littlemissy

littlemissy
  • Teacher
  • 58 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 06:23 PM

Hi,

Great links! but again, I wouldn't bother too much about the Swing riots. Remember the focus in Standard Grade Unit 1 is primarily (not exclusively) changes in Scotland. Concentrate on understanding the technological and other innovations in agriculture and the effects this had on people - their employment patterns and conditions, their lifestyle and so on. You can, of course, reference changes in wider Britain and it may come up in a source, but you wouldn't be expected to know it in great detail, so don't worry too much.

#10 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 07:56 PM

Hi,

Great links! but again, I wouldn't bother too much about the Swing riots. Remember the focus in Standard Grade Unit 1 is primarily (not exclusively) changes in Scotland. Concentrate on understanding the technological and other innovations in agriculture and the effects this had on people - their employment patterns and conditions, their lifestyle and so on. You can, of course, reference changes in wider Britain and it may come up in a source, but you wouldn't be expected to know it in great detail, so don't worry too much.

Thank you for this guidance - it is most welcome.
Are you a teacher?

#11 littlemissy

littlemissy
  • Teacher
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:25 PM

Yes, In Scotland. I thought I'd joined as a teacher but now realise I'm coming up as a student! Tried to message you to ask how to change but I keep getting error messages that I'm now allowed to view profiles!

#12 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 12:44 PM

Yes, In Scotland. I thought I'd joined as a teacher but now realise I'm coming up as a student! Tried to message you to ask how to change but I keep getting error messages that I'm now allowed to view profiles!

We restrict general access to pupils' profiles (for obvious reasons).

I have changed you to 'Teacher', though I'm not sure that'll make any significant changes to your status.
Is this satisfactory?

It's really good to have a teacher involved who can give advice-from-knowledge to 'Scottish' questions.
If you wanted to become more involved, perhaps it would be OK for me to email you (on the email address you gave when joining) to tell you what would be involved.

#13 littlemissy

littlemissy
  • Teacher
  • 58 posts

Posted 18 June 2011 - 01:49 PM

Happy for you to email me.

#14 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

Happy for you to email me.

Will do when I get to my laptop. At the moment I'm on my wife's iPad and it's useless when it comes to typing and posting!

#15 littlemissy

littlemissy
  • Teacher
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 10:16 PM

You're just showing off! **sighs with jealously as she slopes off to the Apple website**

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users