• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 evaaaaan

evaaaaan
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:10 PM

An essay-typed question for HK A-level:
Do you agree with the view that 'Cavour hindered the process of Italian unification?'Explain.
My teacher has always told us to be conventional: to agree with the statement to be safe.

If I argue for the statement, what should be the points and organization? All i know about his hindrance is that he stopped Garibaldi from conquering Naples which defer the unification a little.
What else? TO talk about him being a Piedmontist or nationalist? It seems a little off-topic.

If I argue against the statement( which I personally prefer) ,what should I write?
Should I cover his contributions to 'compensate' for 'Cavour did not hinder unification?'

Thanks.

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 28 July 2011 - 11:33 PM

I have already answered this question on the forum here.

This title is a typical either-or question, which you answer with a thesis-antithesis-conclusion structure-type essay.

1. You start off (ie 'thesis') by suggesting that, 'on the one hand', it could be argued that Cavour hindered unification. Then you list them, explain them and prove them with evidence.
2. Next (ie 'antithesis') yo go on to suggest that, 'on the other hand', it could be argued that Cavour helped/achieved unification. Then you list them, explain them and prove them with evidence.
3. Then finally you say 'In conclusion therefore' (ie synthesis) and say what you feel the balance was, given what you have said. In this conclusion it is usually a good idea to hold back a 'telling point' which you can produce as 'the clincher' for your conclusion. This is also the time to introduce and discuss any historiography of which you are aware.

As regards the points you might make, there is one of those cheat essays here. If you use it, make sure you only plunder it for ideas, and don;t just copy chunks.
There is a lomng narrative account of unification here, which you can use to provide facts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users