• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sapphire

Sapphire
  • Student
  • 669 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:07 PM

hi, how are you?
can you help my sister with her homework, i can't really help her at the moment because i have a lot of homework whoch is due tommorrow and her homework is due tomorrow as will and i can@t help my sister and do my homework at the same time.

Task: thete id going to be a trial, some of you are going to be on the jury, some are going to be witnesses (characters) and some of you are going to be reporters.

(So my sister was picked as a jury)

what to do if you are a jury member:

Create a charcter for yourself and write a speech to introduce yourself.
What do you think about the case of the Slave Ship Zong?
What questions would you want to ask the witnesses?
What is your view of slavery - remember some people at the time would have supported slavery - especially if they were making money out of it.

plz help out my sister by today, i will really appreciate!!!

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:30 PM

If she wants to be REALLY swish she could be Hannah Moore, an 18th century philanthropist who helped William Wilberforce and wrote a famous poem on slavery.
As Hannah,she would ask a lot of moral (right-versus-wrong) questions about the slave trade such as 'do you have the right to enslave other people?' and 'what would God say?' etc.

If your sister has a sense of humour, the poem contains a number of questions, and she could ask them!
Here are some of them:

1. While Britain basks in thy full blaze of light, Why lies sad Afric quench'd in total night?

i.e. it it right that Britain should be so free and wealthy, when Africa is under the terror of the slave trade?

2. Does thirst of empire, does desire of fame, (For these are specious crimes) our rage inflame?

i.e. are we doing these terrible deeds just to conquer and empire, or to make ourselves famous, because if we are that is a crime against humanity

3. What wrongs, what injuries does Opression plead To smooth the horror of th' unnatural deed? What strange offence, what aggravated sin? They stand convicted--of a darker skin!

i.e. Are we doing these terrible oppressive things because we are racists aginst Africans?

4. For [the slave], when fate his tortur'd frame destroys, What hope of present fame, or future joys?

i.e. how do you justify making a slave's life so terrible?

5. Shall Britain, where the soul of freedom reigns, Forge chains for others she herself disdains?

i.e. is it right that we in Britain, who are free, are making slaves of others?

6. What page of human annals can record A deed so bright as human rights restor'd?

i.e. is it not true that if we give these people back their freedom, we shall have done a great thing

Seeing as the pupils who are playing the characters will not a clue what she is talking about, as long as she understands the questions, she could have them tied in knots if she asks them in Hannah Moore's words!

#3 Sapphire

Sapphire
  • Student
  • 669 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 09:58 PM

hi, can you help my sister with the slavery homework again because she still doesn't get it. her teacher gave her an extra day to do it and if she doesn't do it then she'll get a detention.

my sister said that you wrote about the slave trade but her homework was about The Slave Ship Zong.

Here is the information about The Slave Ship Zong:
On 6th septmber 1781, the slave ship Zong sailed for the West Indies from Sao Tome, an island off the coast of West Africa, carrying about 470 slaves and a crew of 117. The ship was owned by liverpool banker and slave trader William Gregson and his colleegue George Case. A month into the journey a high percentage of the slaves and crew had died or were sick and unlikely to recover. Luke collingwood, the ship's master knew that if death were a result of natural causes, the insurers would not pay them for their losses. They would pay however, if it had been necessary to kill them for the safety of the ship. Luke Collingwood told the insurers that the water was running short and in order to save the crew and the ship, they had been forced to throw 133 slaves oveerboard, alive, into the sea. A small numbeer of slaves managed to break free from their captors and jump to their death, before they were thrown. As it happened, the insurers refused to pay the claim and the case was taken to court twice in 1783, the owners demanding to be paid 30 for each "lost" slave. Abolionist Olaudah Equiano heard about this case and told fellow abolitionist Granville Sharp, who immediately launched a campaign for justice. Within three days he had instructed solicitors to start proceedings "against all persons concered in throwing into the sea 133 slaves" and demanded that, those of the crew who had survived should be tried for murder.

Task:
There is going to be a trial, some of you are going to be on the jury, some of you are going to be the witnesses (characters) and some of you are going to be reporters.

(my sister history teacher decided that she should be a jury member)

What to do if you are a jury member:
CREATE a character for yourself and write a speech to introduce yourself.
What is your view of slavery - remember some people at the time would have supported slavery - especially if they were making money out of it.

Can you plz help her by today!!!
THANKS!!! :D

#4 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,070 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:45 PM

hi, can you help my sister with the slavery homework again because she still doesn't get it. her teacher gave her an extra day to do it and if she doesn't do it then she'll get a detention.

What to do if you are a jury member:
CREATE a character for yourself and write a speech to introduce yourself.

Can you plz help her by today!!!
THANKS!!! :D

Well, I think Mr. Clare did give her some ideas about what she might be able to say as an anti-slave trade juryperson, but I'll try to give you some more ideas.

Create a character... Well, are you going to be against the slave trade or in favour? That will determine what questions you want to ask. If you decide to be a pro-slavery person, then perhaps you could be a merchant who trades with the West Indies and doesn't want to run out of money. Or, you could be a sailor who gets paid for being the crew on a slave ship and wants to stay in work. Or you might just be a well-off English lady who likes her tea with sugar and doesn't want to pay more for her little luxuries.

If you are in favour of slavery, you might ask how much money the slave trade makes and why it is so important. You might even say that you are sorry about the slave trade, but as it's only Africans being affected it's not that important.

However, you may decide that you are against the slave trade: an abolitionist who wants to end slavery. Perhaps you could be a journalist campaigning against the slave trade, even writing a book about how terrible it is. Or maybe you are just an ordinary sailor who doesn't like cruelty on board ships.

If you are anti-slavery then you might ask Captain Luke Collingwood to explain why he thought it was all right to kill 133 human beings? Was he really running out of water, or did he only care about the money.

Hope this gives you some ideas. I don't suppose that they are looking for an oscar-winning performance, or for you to talk for hours. Good luck.

#5 Sapphire

Sapphire
  • Student
  • 669 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 05:51 PM

hi, my sister said thanks for the help, she wrote a speech and her history teacher LLLLOOOOVVVVEEEEDDDD IT!!!
she couldn't have done it without your help
THANKS AGAIN!!! :D

#6 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 04:07 PM

hi, my sister said thanks for the help, she wrote a speech and her history teacher LLLLOOOOVVVVEEEEDDDD IT!!!
she couldn't have done it without your help
THANKS AGAIN!!! :D

Well, I think she probably could, she just needed some ideas to get her started. Well done, good news and thank you for being so appreciative.

#7 pippaxcottyx

pippaxcottyx
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 04:22 PM

please can someone help me! i need to find out about the trial of William Gregson and George Case, the ship Zong :)

MUCH THANKS!
:rolleyes:

#8 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,070 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 05:22 PM

please can someone help me! i need to find out about the trial of William Gregson and George Case, the ship Zong :)

MUCH THANKS!
:rolleyes:

Welcome to the Forum.

Right, I have had a look at the usual school websites, but they don't actually carry much on the 'Zong' trial. However, there is a lot on the internet, so here are a few hints.

There is a brief introduction, including images of a replica of the Zong on this page.

The understandingslavery.com site has a page on the Zong here.

There is a lot more out there, but these two pages seemed a good place to start. Let us know if you need more help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users