Lives Of Women & Children 1500 - 1750

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Figgypud

Figgypud
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

I am looking for information about the lives of women and children in the period 1500 - 1750. There is a lot of information about the Tudors and Stuarts, but I can't find anything about the major changes affecting the women and children at this time. It doesn't have to be very detailed - I just need an outline of the major differences. I would b very grateful if u could help.

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,068 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 09 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

You're quite right; there is quite a lot on the Tudors, but less about the Stuarts and the period 1714-1750.

There is a little on changes to life under Cromwell on this page from the History Learning site. The Time Traveller's Guide to Stuart England from Channel 4 Television has some sections which might be of use.

So, the answer is to have a dig around to find out some more; try searching under 'Georgian family life' or 'Stuart women'. I will have a look around and see what I can find.

#3 Figgypud

Figgypud
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:09 PM

You're quite right; there is quite a lot on the Tudors, but less about the Stuarts and the period 1714-1750.

There is a little on changes to life under Cromwell on this page from the History Learning site. The Time Traveller's Guide to Stuart England from Channel 4 Television has some sections which might be of use.

So, the answer is to have a dig around to find out some more; try searching under 'Georgian family life' or 'Stuart women'. I will have a look around and see what I can find.

#4 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,068 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

I hope that you were going on to say that this is what you needed. If not, please let us know.

Admittedly, this isn't an area which I know much about. However, I am not sure whether there was very much difference in women's and children's lives in the period 1500-1750. Poor families had a hard life, rich women perhaps found themselves with less power and influence by 1750. Children were still expected to 'earn their keep' as soon as possible in poorer homes. Perhaps Mr. Clare has more thoughts on this issue?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users