Indentured Indian Labourers Vs Enslaved Labour

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cel

cel
  • Student
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 October 2011 - 04:05 PM

i am presently doing an essay the statement is; the experience of the indentured labourers was a greater improvement over that of the enslaved persons. to what extent is that true?

i would like to know how should i go about doing my introduction/an example of a thesis statement and how could i build the body of the essay, like what points? and a little help with doing my opening paragraphs for each point.

it is supposed to debatable, so for the 1st paragraph for example, i would have one point saying indian indentured labourers were willing to work......... and build on that point and then compare that point to something of the enslaved persons

i really need some points please

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 11:28 PM

I think you've beaten us here, Cel.
I certainly don't know enough about this topic to even begin to give you any ideas, and I'm pretty sure Mr Bryant feels the same way.

It IS, however, simply a case of comparison.
I presume your teacher has given you some sources/information about the two groups.

It's simply a FACTUAL INFORMATION versus FACTUAL INFORMATION comparison, so there's no great conceptual difficulty in writing the essay.

Try to get 'criteria of comparison' so you;re comparing like versus like (e.g. length of time they were under the master's control, renumeration,conditions of work, punishments etc.) so you can build a valid comparison.

#3 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

i am presently doing an essay the statement is; the experience of the indentured labourers was a greater improvement over that of the enslaved persons. to what extent is that true?

i would like to know how should i go about doing my introduction/an example of a thesis statement and how could i build the body of the essay, like what points? and a little help with doing my opening paragraphs for each point.

I am afraid that Mr.Clare is correct: this is not an area in which I have a great depth of knowledge. However, you presumably have enough ideas about both indentured labourers and slaves to draw comparisons between them in terms of their 'experience'. For example, slaves were generally slaves 'for life' whereas indentured labourers worked for their master for a set period of time. Again, slaves received no wages, while labourers sometimes received some financial recompense. However, when looked at more closely, their experiences were often much more similar than we might expect. E,g, many labourers ended their period of servitude destitute, effectively becoming slaves to stay alive. The question includes the phrase 'to what extent' so you can decide, based on the evidence, whether their experiences were totally dissimilar, completely alike or (most likely) somewhere in between (ideally not in the 'middle').

Introductions don't do a lot for me so, unless your teacher is keen on them, keep it brief. Much better to concentrate on using your knowledge/evidence and coming to a judgement in your conclusion.

#4 cel

cel
  • Student
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

I am afraid that Mr.Clare is correct: this is not an area in which I have a great depth of knowledge. However, you presumably have enough ideas about both indentured labourers and slaves to draw comparisons between them in terms of their 'experience'. For example, slaves were generally slaves 'for life' whereas indentured labourers worked for their master for a set period of time. Again, slaves received no wages, while labourers sometimes received some financial recompense. However, when looked at more closely, their experiences were often much more similar than we might expect. E,g, many labourers ended their period of servitude destitute, effectively becoming slaves to stay alive. The question includes the phrase 'to what extent' so you can decide, based on the evidence, whether their experiences were totally dissimilar, completely alike or (most likely) somewhere in between (ideally not in the 'middle').

Introductions don't do a lot for me so, unless your teacher is keen on them, keep it brief. Much better to concentrate on using your knowledge/evidence and coming to a judgement in your conclusion.

g
thanks so much for the replies however i really am grateful for finding this site :) i actually got through with my topis
my points are the work load of the slaves vs that of the indian indentureds
religion, housing, healthcare, punishments, wages, education, supervision and AUTONOMY

what is AUTONOMY? and if i could please get a little help with the supervision and autonomy part please because i am a little confused. thanks again for all the help

#5 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 01:24 AM

thanks for all the help though. i really am gald i found this site. i got my points

the work load of the slaves vs that of the indians
the punishment, healthcare, education, wages, religion, housing, supervision and autonomy

what is autonomy? and how can i mix that into my essay? and what about the supervision?

Mr Bryant may be more able to help than I.

'Autonomy' is the right to do as you want. Slaves had NO rights over their person - perhaps indentured servants had some - this is where you will know more than me.

'Supervision' is how they were controlled. Slaves were violently and strictly monitored and controlled - was supervision of the indentured servants any more lax - again, you will know more than me.

#6 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:17 AM

thanks so much for the replies however i really am grateful for finding this site :) i actually got through with my topis
my points are the work load of the slaves vs that of the indian indentureds
religion, housing, healthcare, punishments, wages, education, supervision and AUTONOMY

what is AUTONOMY? and if i could please get a little help with the supervision and autonomy part please because i am a little confused. thanks again for all the help

That looks like a really good list of areas to cover. I'm glad we could give you some help.

I don't really have anything to add to Mr. Clare's answer. You know much more than I do about how indentured labourers were 'supervised'. Did they have overseers like slaves? If so, was frequent use made of the whip? Or was there a different system? Similarly, regarding 'autonomy' it is my understanding that slaves were more or less controlled during working hours but had a limited amount of their own time after hours and on Sundays. However, there living areas and conditions etc. were generally determined by their owners. In theory indentured labourers shold have had more 'freedom' but was this actually true?

Best of luck with your work; my apologies if this answer has come a bit late, but I have been very busy this week.

#7 cel

cel
  • Student
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

thats okay i just checked in so your reply wasn't late. i am doing the body of my essay right now and thanks for the tips. the sunday off totally slipped my mind thanks for the reminder. it will conclude saying that there was only a slight differance in the experiance of the Indians as compared to the slaves. Thanks so much :D

#8 cel

cel
  • Student
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 08:14 PM

thats okay i just checked in so your reply wasn't late. i am doing the body of my essay right now and thanks for the tips. the sunday off totally slipped my mind thanks for the reminder. it will conclude saying that there was only a slight differance in the experiance of the Indians as compared to the slaves. Thanks so much :D

good day to all teachers and informers. i have finished my essay and i all i need is a really strong conclusion ending with my points can i please get some tips on how i should go about forming a strong conclusion? if it is possible can i please get back a reply by monday? thank you
sincerly cel

#9 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:26 AM

Does this thread on writing a conclusion help?

#10 cel

cel
  • Student
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 03:38 PM

Does this thread on writing a conclusion help?

thank you so very much that was incredibly helpful. i will just have to check some sources and then i will be able to complete it. thanks alot sir!!! :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users