Help For Yr 13 Extra Study: Holocaust Responsibility

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mumonamission

mumonamission
  • Student
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:31 PM

I have had much help from forum members in the past with suggestions to support my son who has Aspergers and is currently in yr 13. His teacher is very good and occasionally, when he is on top of his A level work, will allow him to do his own research on something that is currently of great interest to him. He has recently in psychology been studying the Stanley Migram obedience study

Milgram started his experiments in 1961, shortly after the trial of the World War II criminal Adolph Eichmann had begun. Eichmannís defense that he was simply following instructions when he ordered the deaths of millions of Jews roused Milgramís interest. In his 1974 book Obedience to Authority, Milgram posed the question, "Could it be that Eichmann and his million accomplices in the Holocaust were just following orders? Could we call them all accomplices?"

He has been lent 'Backing Hitler consent and coercion in Nazi Germany by Rober Gellately' (sp) I was wondering can anyone else recommend any other books, articles, films, podcasts etc. that might be of interest to him.
I would be extremely grateful as he needs something every now and then to study in depth

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:05 PM

Hi! What an interesting topic!

You are moving beyind my comfort zone, I'm afraid.
If you look back in a few days, I have posted your request on the History Teachers' Discussion Forum; it may be that a teacher there can help.

By the time students are reaching A-level, there is an increasing expectation that pupils will begin to do their own research. One thing I would do is to start with the wikipedia article, and chase the links and references. These will generate their own references, which you can follow in their turn.

After you have done a bit of reading, it is a good idea to formulate an initial question, which then serves to marshall your research from then on. Sometimes (but rarely) it becomes necessary to change the question.

#3 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

I don't know how much time he will have to read books on this subject, but a very stimulating book could be Daniel Goldhagen's:

Hitler's Willing Executioners: Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust

However, this is a controversial book so probably not the best place to start. Do a forum search on 'Goldhagen' and see what has been said about before on here. It should be available through the public library system. If anything else comes to mind I will let you know.

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:31 PM

A comment from the History Teachers' Forum:

Have read the post and thought this might be interesting:
Eichmann in Jerusalem: A Report on the Banality of Evil (Hannah Arendt)

As Mr. Bryant's, non-specific, but might be helpful.

#5 mumonamission

mumonamission
  • Student
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 07:31 AM

Thank you both so much for taking the time to post suggestions which I have passed on to my son. The good thing about your suggestions is that as he looks into them more they throw up other ideas, hopefully keeping him engaged for a while. Your help is as usual much appreciated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users