• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cyfer

Cyfer
  • Student
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:01 PM

Hello,

I was wondering if anybody could please help me out? I am trying to find out some key knowledge that I could use in an essay. There are various parts to it but I will try to be clear.

I'm writing my essay thematically however I'm finding every theme is fine apart from one which is the living standards of peasants from 1905-1945. Does anyone know any key knowledge on how the First World War, Russo-Japanese War and the Second World War affected the living standards of peasants from 1905-1945? Not the Civil War, I have lots of knowledge about the Red Terror, burdens of War Communism etc. My textbook has a sentence for the First World War and nothing about the other 2 wars whilst I can't find anything on the internet (I got a hint from my textbook about the forced conscription of muslims and opposition to it however I couldn't find anything on the net).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to thank Mr J.D. Clare for recommending 'A People's Tragedy' a while ago, even though the author has been accused of plagiarism and other things, I still thoroughly enjoyed the book and I hope to re-read the book without the pressures of 'I have to know all of this for an exam!'

Please do not just give plenty of statistics as knowledge as the sources provide that, I need more elegant things e.g. when talking about the First World War's effect on Russian politics you could talk about the Vyborg district machine gun regiment and the benefit of the Petrograd garrison and Kronstadt sailors to overcome the Cossack guard. The only thing I have in terms of knowledge for the First World War is that the village of Grushevka reported that it had lost 13% of its population due to the war in August 1916.

Thank you for your time.
Cyfer

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 02:34 AM

As always, a delightful request.
I will have a look about.

#3 Cyfer

Cyfer
  • Student
  • 322 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

As always, a delightful request.
I will have a look about.

Thank you, it is very much appreciated.

I want this essay to do well so if you have any links to long pieces of text, I don't mind reading them for some valuable information.

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:06 AM

Is this chapter in Russia on the eve of modernity: popular religion and traditional culture by Leonid Heretz any use?
It struck me as providing the kind of specific examples you were looking for.

#5 Cyfer

Cyfer
  • Student
  • 322 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:41 PM

Thank you, the chapter you provided is very relevant. I also found this however there's not much to say on the World War One part. I'll be sure to mention the barrage of information the source talks about and what I found most interesting was their hypocrisy in encouraging peasant traditions and then drawing them back (your source mentions the solar eclipse). If I didn't know better I would be astonished that a government can be so incredibly manipulative.

For the Russo-Japanese War and Second World War I'm just going to very briefly talk about how they were similar to the First World War as I haven't got much on them :). I should be alright since I talk a fair bit about them in my other sections (Russian economy and politics). Once again, thanks for the help. I've nearly finished gathering and sorting out a plan for the essay and then it should be simple to write it.

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:01 PM

Go for it!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users