Year 8 Homework! British Empire

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kelcmoore

kelcmoore
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hi there, I'm really need some help for my young lads homework.... bless him his has been trying but has come to a dead end he really wants to prove that he can do this but he needs some extra help.... The task
Countries ina n empire are very expensice to control. you need to choose one of the countries that was in the British Empire e.g; Canada,India, Australia, Jamaica) and put together a portfolio of evidence to convince Queen Victoria that the country is worth keeping ( remember that you are looking at the period 1837~1901), Remember that the more reasons that you give, the more likely Queen Victoria will be to keep the colony and to reward you for being such an excellent subject and researcher! The best portflios will include sections about one or more other countries and make a comparison between the value and use of the colonies to Victoria....PLEASE HELP.....

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:00 PM

Welcome to the Forum. What an interesting question!

My usual advice is to do a forum search on 'empire' and see what comes up. This might help (as we have covered colonies etc. before) but could be a bit lengthy.

So, I think a good place to start might be this site. It contains a lot of information, but it may take some digging out.

Another very good site is on Victorian Web on this introduction to the British Empire.

Alternatively, there is always the dreaded Wikipedia, or even just googling (other search engines are available) 'Australia 1837-1901', for example, and see what comes up, perhaps adding 'resources' or 'school' to help pick up education sites.

How long does he have to do this? With a bit more time, we might be able to help a little more.

Remember; you need to look for things that would help Britain. So, taking Australia as an example, you may want to consider the following:
What could they find there which could be used to help Britain (think animals/farming but also minerals etc.)
Who could they send there when they had done something really bad in Britain (clue google 'transportation Australia'
Where could they send people who wanted a new life outside Britain? (emigration)
In 1899 the Boer War began? See if you can find anything about how Australia helped Britain.

Hope these few thoughts are of some use. Remember, if you have done the best you can, then it's a good piece of work. If you found it difficult, hopefully it will help you do better next time.

#3 kelcmoore

kelcmoore
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:13 PM

Ahhh thank you,,, It is due in the 1st week of december... so have a couple of weeks.... just want him to be best he can be and prove himself.....

#4 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:18 PM

Ahhh thank you,,, It is due in the 1st week of december... so have a couple of weeks.... just want him to be best he can be and prove himself.....

Same thing with me and my children. Supportive parents are massively important, but you already know that.

Have a go at my suggestions, see if they are any use. If not, or you'd like more ideas, get back to us and we'll see what we can do. It's an interesting task, much better than just 'Go and find out about... ' Good luck with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users