• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 starpuppy

starpuppy
  • Student
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 November 2011 - 06:56 PM

hi!
I know there are alot of threads about General Haig and that website. But im a bit confused!? im writing an essay on the battle of the somme and i have written it except for the last paragraph which says: write a paragraph on Haig defend or critisize him... but i dont know what to write!! this is what ive got so far! What did he do wrong is what i am confused about!

Douglas Haig was Britainís Commander-in-chief during the Battle of the Somme and was criticised for the big loss of life in the battle. He did not think of new military ideas. He wanted to attack the Germans, which would mean that the Germans would need to remove some men from Verdun. By doing the French will have less men to fight. Many people blame Haig for not learning from the big loss on the first day of the Somme.

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 30 November 2011 - 07:15 PM

Mr. Clare's excellent website has a really useful section on General Haig: have a look at this page on Haig and the Somme to start with. There are lots of links to other information as well . Then, if you have any further questions, let us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users