• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 changeovermag

changeovermag
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:11 PM

hi,

i'm currently researching my russian coursework essay question. we have to do 2 2000 word essays (one question is chosen by the teacher which is stalin-related - bah humbug - but the one that I'm focused on at the mo is the one that I've chosen myself. It's about lenin's role in the bolshevik's consolidation of power (was he an important/ crucial factor or was he irrelevant is the general gist of the question. i decided on using lenin because he was such an influencial figure in history and some histroians have argues that to understand stalin you need to understand lenin first. hence I thought that there would be a wealth of info and books on lenin the man, his role in keeping the bolshevik's in power. Just went through amazon and no such luck. surprisingly he isn't that popular for such a big figure. loads of books on the oct revolution but that is not the focus of my question. the focus is between the years 1917-24. as I said, what little biographies of lenin seem to be limited. I was considering getting out Volkogonov's bio but to some reviewer's he's just marmite. apparently, he doesn't offer a ballanced view and is highly critical of lenin. from what i read in a textbook, Robert Service tends to down-play lenin's role in events so.... not really sure if he'd be suitable for my essay.
please,please HELP ME out here. I need to give the essay in early january and I'm panicking because I feel like I not progessing in my history studies and I'm worried that I'll get a horribly low grade. Can you recommend any good Lening biographies that are esp. helpful.

so I'd really, REALLY, appreciate if you could give up even a tiny bit of time to help me out. my history teacher and I don't get on that much (not approachable).

thanks in advance (hopefully waiting).

Mags.

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:18 PM

Sorry - I don;t know enough just to recommend a book.

I will ask on your behalf on the Teachers' forum - one of them may be able to help.
Look back in a few days time.

#3 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:23 PM

PS be careful - if you're supposed to do your own research, this help could be construed as 'unfair advantage' - don't forget to declare it in your bibliogrpahy.

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:09 PM

Sorry - no response on the Teachers' Forum.

My advice would be to go into google-books, enter your search term 'Lenin 1917-24', and see what turns up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users