• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mumonamission

mumonamission
  • Student
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:15 AM

Hello,
I have received a lot of help from the forum for my son who has ASD. At a recent parents evening he seemed to be on track to get his predicted A grade at A level but the teacher said he needs to get as much practice as possible in evaluative writing. Could forum members suggest some ways he can do this please.

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 15 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

Hello,
I have received a lot of help from the forum for my son who has ASD. At a recent parents evening he seemed to be on track to get his predicted A grade at A level but the teacher said he needs to get as much practice as possible in evaluative writing. Could forum members suggest some ways he can do this please.

Sorry for the delay in replying: we will try to send you some ideas soon.

#3 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 01:01 PM

The reason we are having problems with getting our heads round this is because - well I, for one - am not really sure what his teacher(s) mean by 'evaluative' writing.

I have asked for help on the Teachers' Forum, and when I get an answer there, I will get back to you ... perhaps if you could give it a few days?

As for getting practice, whatever answers we get about 'evaluative writing', the best way for your son to get practice in this is to get the school to give you a list of essay titles, and for him to then do them, hand them in, and get feedback.

If he wishes, before he starts writing such an essay, he could share the title on this forum, and the moderators here could give our suggestions as to how he might approach it.
But ultimately the final arbitrer has to be his own teacher.

#4 mumonamission

mumonamission
  • Student
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 06:17 PM

Thank you both. Apologies for not replying sooner but our internet connection has been terrible! At the moment he is working on America's expansionism (sp?) policy between 1845 and 1945.
Any suggested links or books would be much appreciated before he actually starts writing. Thank you

#5 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,067 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 31 December 2011 - 04:09 PM

Sorry for the delay in replying. I suspect Mr. Clare knows more about this than me. We will try to get back to you soon.

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:30 AM

Hi - hope you had a good Christmas.

Without a clearer lead on what his teachers mean by 'evaluatuve writing', as I say, I would hesitate to pontificate.

What Board/spec are we talking about? If the paper is F965 (which is very much about evaluation) there's a few teachers on the Teachers' Forum who teach it, and yes it is a specific skill on that markscheme, so if that is the case we would be able to get someone to comment ... but we need to make sure first.

As for helping with the nuts and bolts of the assessment, forum rules forbid it at this stage!
But best wishes and have fun!

#7 mumonamission

mumonamission
  • Student
  • 20 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 04:48 PM

Thought I'd just update on this. We had a meeting with both of my son's teachers. One was not aware that the other had given this evaluative writing target and seemed to think there was not a problem. There have been staffing problems and several supply teachers but son is back on track now and has achieved and bettered his target grade. Also he has a conditional offer to study history at UCL!

#8 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 02:05 AM

Thought I'd just update on this. We had a meeting with both of my son's teachers. One was not aware that the other had given this evaluative writing target and seemed to think there was not a problem. There have been staffing problems and several supply teachers but son is back on track now and has achieved and bettered his target grade. Also he has a conditional offer to study history at UCL!

Thanks for keeping us in touch - this is great news!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users