• Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 10:19 PM

how can i write a sheep for histoy thats not long

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,086 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 19 December 2011 - 09:45 AM

How can I write a speech for history that's not long?

Welcome to the Forum.

Well, it's a bit like doing an exam question. What you need is to focus on something. I see that your speech is going to be on Byzantine History. Do you have a specific question to answer, or is it your choice? Assuming that you have already studied some Eastern Roman Imperial history, you can choose an aspect that interests you but isn't so large that it won't fit in a short speech. Without looking at what you have studied it's a bit difficult to suggest anything that's definitely relevant. However, some examples might be Procopius' 'Secret History', Anna Comnena, the effects of the Fourth Crusade or the Fall of Constantinople in 1453.

Then, if you need to, carry out some research to collect your material, then you need to write it out in a form which works as a spoken speech. Mr. Clare is much better on this side of things, the 'rule of three' for example, but if you need any help on this side of things please get back to us. You will probably need several drafts, so type it up on the computer if you can.

Next you need to practice reading it aloud. This will help you know whether it works as a speech and let you work out where to put the emphasis in your sentences, for example. Ideally you should read it out to somebody else who can give you some help as to which bits work best. Unless you have to, there is no need to learn it by heart, but the more familiar you are with what you are going to say, the better it will sound.

Sorry if some of this sounds a bit obvious. Please let us know if you need more help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users