Philosophy

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Cyfer

Cyfer
  • Student
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 12:18 AM

btw there is huge controversy / debate surrounding the idea of 'base intelligence' (or the "g-factor as it is known in psychology). One may argue that the intelligence factor in respect to earnings that you refer to is toppled by economic supply and demand as demonstrated by the high wages earned by top footballers, models, artists etc that is due to neither chance nor 'base' intelligence (whatever intelligence may be). But that's for another day!

I am sorry, I hadn't considered that at all.

But would it be worth thinking of those that elevated the people into the positions in the first place? For example it is the manager that originally bought the football player, giving them the chance to succeed.

I have to say I am completely confused by this argument and I have no idea how to proceed, sorry.

#17 littlemissy

littlemissy
  • Teacher
  • 58 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 09:08 PM

Sorry Cyfer, I didn't mean to confuse you. I simply wanted to point out that success isn't merely due to academic ability (which is what I think you mean by base intelligence) or chance - be that opportunity or luck. Firstly our society values many other talents such as singing, football, entrepreneurship (if that's a word!) and good looks. The theory of supply and demand says that what things are in high demand (e.g. good footballers) and supply is limited (not everyone is good, and some are what better than others) then that drives the price up in open competition. Obviously there are many other factors such as motivation, hard work and social background. I would argue that when your football manager gave the youngster a 'chance' that wasn't really chance. It was the result of hard work and dedication on both their parts and the manager made an economic decision to get him before the other teams.

I do agree that you can be in the right place at the right time. However, I think not enough is made of the huge amount of hard work put in by successful people, so young people think they get there by chance rather than graft.

This does kind of link in with your interest in Russia since the Soviet Government tried to control supply and demand, price levels and so forth. Enjoy your reading!

#18 Cyfer

Cyfer
  • Student
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

As an update, I've been reading Sophie's world when I've gotten the chance and I'm currently ~20% through the book however I find it a bit dull. It's probably just because it's currently discussing philosophical concept during the Ancient era, which muddle nonsensically with science. Nonetheless I will stick with it as it seems to be progressing through time so hopefully it will move away from confused Ancient scientific ideas, although some of the philosophical ideas behind these were quite interesting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users