Genocides And Yemen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Cyfer

Cyfer
  • Student
  • 322 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:39 PM

Hello I was wondering whether anyone would be able to help me out.

I'm researching genocides the UN was unable to (or didn't try to stop). Out of the huge list I believe the most important ones are:
  • Cambodia massacre
  • Srebrenica massacre
  • Tamil massacre
  • Rwandan massacre
  • Kosovo war

Mainly I've been just using wikipedia however I find it's poor at summarising information. I'm mainly looking at how the UN was unable to solve these genocides and how it may attempt to solve them in the future. Does anyone know of any websites that succintly organise this type of information? I've tried the UN website but it's a labyrinth :(

Thank you for the help,

Mukilab

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:53 PM

Mainly I've been just using wikipedia however I find it's poor at summarising information. I'm mainly looking at how the UN was unable to solve these genocides and how it may attempt to solve them in the future. Does anyone know of any websites that succintly organise this type of information? I've tried the UN website but it's a labyrinth :(

Without digging around, no; I will see what I can find. Don't forget that the United Nations website puts the U.N. point of view. We could also quibble about when warfare against civilians becomes 'genocide', but your list looks reasonable to me. You might also want to add the Congo and other episodes of the Balkan Wars in the 1990s.

#3 Cyfer

Cyfer
  • Student
  • 322 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 12:46 AM

Without digging around, no; I will see what I can find. Don't forget that the United Nations website puts the U.N. point of view. We could also quibble about when warfare against civilians becomes 'genocide', but your list looks reasonable to me. You might also want to add the Congo and other episodes of the Balkan Wars in the 1990s.

Don't worry about it then. I'll have to dig them up anyway, no point of you going through the effort of doing so, I was just checking to see if anyone knew some at a glance. Thanks for the help though.

'Genocide' refers to the purposeful attempt at extermination of a culture or race, which I believe happened in all of those cases.

#4 Cyfer

Cyfer
  • Student
  • 322 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:02 PM

Sorry for the late reply!

Well, I managed to find many articles for all of them and I attended a MUN (Model United Nations) in Tudor Hall, where I was part of the Security Council discussing these two topics.

To summarise, it went great and I absolutely loved it.

#5 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

Sorry for the late reply!

Well, I managed to find many articles for all of them and I attended a MUN (Model United Nations) in Tudor Hall, where I was part of the Security Council discussing these two topics.

To summarise, it went great and I absolutely loved it.

It sounds really interesting; I am quite jealous. Well done on your research and being able to put it to good use. Thank you for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users