• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Cams

Cams
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 06:39 PM

Hello ! I'm new here !

Can sombody help me with my english homework, please ?

My task: "As the new foreign secretary, President Obama wants you to deliver a speech to commemorate the abolition of slavery in the USA. In this speech you'll have to remind of what happened to the slaves, the harsh conditions they had to undergo..."

I started to write it but it looks more like a paragraph than a speech...

Thanks. P.S. I forgot to mention : I'm french :)

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,086 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 07:52 PM

Bienvenue au forum.

There is lots on here about slavery. The best way to start would be to do a forum search on 'slavery' and then follow likely threads. Then, if you have any further questions, please get back to us. Hope that this helps.

#3 Cams

Cams
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:25 PM

Thank you, I do a forum search. It helps me but it's more the speech that bother me. I really don't know how to start and intruduce sentences to catch people's intention. Do I have to start with "dear american citizens" something like that, or not ?

#4 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,086 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

Ah, I see. I think a good thing would be to do a 'Youtube' or 'Google video' search on 'Obama' and watch what he says. Previous Presidents have tended to begin speeches with such phrases as 'My fellow Americans...'. Ideally you will need to tie in the history with something about how great it is to be an American today or a similar positivie message. There are several videos of a relatively recent speech by President Obama if you search for 'Obam slavery speech'. If you would like advice on how to make your speech more effective, then Mr. Clare is much better at that sort of thing. Let us know if that is the case.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users