As History Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 03tiff

03tiff
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 10:09 PM

Hey, i am looking for some help with AS history. Please could someone tell me effective ways of revising? Also, how must I structure my essays to get an A? Anything would be appreciated. Thank You.

Edited by 03tiff, 12 February 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

I can't believe that you are really starting from a zero position - I'm sure you are just being very humble, or perhaps panicking unnecessarily.
But if you are, trying reading this webpage (and/or the summary here). It will fill you in on some of the basic principles of revision.
Revision is about finding what is the best way FOR YOU, so there's an element of mix-and-match you will have to fashion for yourself.
Why don't you have a read and a think, and then get back to us with specific issues.

Also, there's no set way to write an AS answer - the best way to approach the question depends, of course, on the question.
SO...
1. find out what Board and paper you are doing.
2. go on the relevant website
3. look back at some past papers and make sure you are prepared for every KIND of question you might face.
4. look back at some markschemes, and then you will be able to see how to approach each different kind of question.
If you need any help with this, we can help if you know your Board and paper reference.

If you do a site search for 'essay', you will also find lots of advice about answering different kinds of question.

#3 03tiff

03tiff
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

Ok, when you put it like that maybe i am being panicky! At my college we've been given the mark schemes and past papers link. I was wondering more specifically if you could help me tackle the top band stuff. I'm doing the OCR Nazi Germany and British. (Forgotten the dates)! Is it important to include historians viewpoints as well as your own? If possible to do you have any kind of A-grade material that i could possibility take a look at just to get a gist of the standard. Thank you very much, i really need to get an A so i can continue to A2.

#4 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,069 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:34 PM

Ok, when you put it like that maybe i am being panicky! At my college we've been given the mark schemes and past papers link. I was wondering more specifically if you could help me tackle the top band stuff. I'm doing the OCR Nazi Germany and British. (Forgotten the dates)! Is it important to include historians viewpoints as well as your own? If possible to do you have any kind of A-grade material that i could possibility take a look at just to get a gist of the standard. Thank you very much, i really need to get an A so i can continue to A2.

That narrows it down. I think this means that you are doing OCR History A, including the following units;

Either:
Unit F962 Option B: Modern 17952003
Democracy and Dictatorship in Germany 191963

Or:
Unit F964 Option B: Modern 17741975
Dictatorship and Democracy in Germany 193363

I need more detail on your British Unit to establish this. It's important because the different units have different focuses and are assessed in differing ways.

Please get back to us with this information and I should then be able to give you some more specific help.

#5 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,069 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

Sorry, but we don't mark students' work, for a number of very good reasons. Apart from anything else, we are all unpaid and do this because we want to help, rather than as a job.

However, most importantly, your teacher is the best judge of your work. Have you discussed with them what you need to do to improve? That has to be part of your way forward. You mention that you spend a lot of time on your esaays, but are disappointed with your marks. You are not alone in this, many AS students find the step up from GCSE very difficult. You are obviously a motivated student, so you should be able to improve your results if you follow your teacher's advice. We will be happy to help you understand what you have been told.

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 08:11 AM

Mr Bryant is absolutely correct.
A lot of it seems to be that you have lost confidence,and this will grow as the months goby.
I think the thing for the moment is to work on your essay technique, and to make sure that you are confident with the factual content.

We can certainly help with the former; if you tell us when you get your next essay, we would be happy to talk through with you how to approach it, and where the marks lie.

It would also be helpful if you could be precise about the paper you are doing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users