Witch Craze

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 LDGG

LDGG
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 12:16 PM

Hey I'm having trouble with my homework because our teacher set us an essay and told us to investigate if there really was a witch craze in the 17th century and I have looked on the internet and cannot find anything useful. Also he wants us to list reasons for and against. Please help :)

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,037 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:33 PM

Welcome to the Forum. I'm a bit surprised that you couldn't find anything useful as there is a lot of information on this. Perhaps the problem was that much of what is out there isn't useful for your purposes. Never mind. There is lots about witches on the forum; try a forum search on 'witches' and there will be lots to help you. Try this thread for example. If you are after information on the witch craze, then this work sheet might also give you some clues.

Certainly, some historians believe that there was a witch craze in the 1600s. There is a very famous book called 'The European Witch-Craze of the Sixteenth and Seventeenth Centuries' written by Hugh Trevor-Roper in 1969. There is some useful material in the Wikipedia article on Witch Hunts which mentions the famous Salem witch trials of 1692. An even better place to look for information is this article from LearnHistory.org.uk which isn't too complicated.

So, if you think there was a witch-craze, you need to justify your decision using some of the information you have found. Hopefully the links above will help. Let us know if you have any more questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users