Why Was There A A Witch Craze In The 17Th Century

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 lollypop

lollypop
  • Student
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 03:09 PM

Hey I have a year 8 history assesment and i would be very grate ful if you could help.
The question is Why was there a witch craze in the C17th and for my target grade it says: Your work was analytical & detailed, listing and explaining in some detail both general & specific reasons why people were accused of being witches, ascribing significance &basing conclusions on evidence. I already have some reasons for why people were accused of being witches like religion and the fact that people couldn't explain things by science but i don't really know what to do and how to do it. we also have to enclude some source material but i don't know where to get any. Again I would be very grateful if you could help me. I would ask my teacher but it is ½ term. Thank you again!
:blush:

Edited by lollypop, 19 February 2012 - 11:36 AM.

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,036 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 17 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

Well, while we have a look for what else we can find, I think the best thing to do would be a forum search on 'witches' and follow the links to the different threads. There is a lot there.

Remember, the views of historians count as source material, especially if you explain who wrote it and where it came from.

#3 lollypop

lollypop
  • Student
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 February 2012 - 09:18 PM

Remember, the views of historians count as source material, especially if you explain who wrote it and where it came from.
[/quote]

Thanks! I still need help but that has helped with understanding what source material is but where can i find some :huh:

#4 lollypop

lollypop
  • Student
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:10 PM

I also need to know how wide spread the witch craze in england was. I know that there was lots of witch trials in Suffolk, norfolk & Essex with Mattew hopkins and that there was the pendle witch trials but i don't know of anywhere else!! :( Please can u help :blush:

#5 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,036 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 19 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

Thanks! I still need help but that has helped with understanding what source material is but where can i find some :huh:

Well, I am sure you have already done so, but have a look at this thread. You can cite (explain where you got this information from) these webpages.

For example;
http://www.learnhist...k/cpp/witch.htm

I will have a look to see what else I can find.

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,339 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 11:41 PM

I also need to know how wide spread the witch craze in england was. I know that there was lots of witch trials in Suffolk, norfolk & Essex with Mattew hopkins and that there was the pendle witch trials but i don't know of anywhere else!! :( Please can u help :blush:

Do a google search for:
witch craze in england
and you will get loads of stuff.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users