Nineteen Propositions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 christopher clare

christopher clare
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 04:18 PM

:blink: Can anybody tell me about the nineteen propositions. is it about the civil war in 1642

#2 Mr Field

Mr Field

Administrator

• Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 04:48 PM

:blink: Can anybody tell me about the nineteen propositions. is it about the civil war in 1642

Yes - you are absolutely correct :D

On 1st June 1642 Parliament presented 19 Propositions to the King inviting him to surrender his whole effective sovereignty over Church and State....

Extracts from the Nineteen Propositions

• The Council should be appointed by Parliament

• The King's Great Officers of State should be appointed by Parliament

• The tutors of the Princes and Princesses should be appointed by Parliament

• Parliament should be given complete control over the militia and over the army required for the re conquest of Ireland

• A Church Settlement should be determined by the wishes of Parliament

http://www.bbc.co.uk...tml?question=62

Research the following websites for more information:
http://www.thevicker...ropositions.htm
http://www.british-c...ropositions.htm
[Overview] http://www.saburchil.../chap40031.html

#3 dolphin1

dolphin1
  • Student
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:21 PM

hi...............only a quick one............How did the 19 propositions help the civil war to occur?

#4 Miss Buxton

Miss Buxton
  • 481 posts

Posted 23 February 2008 - 04:20 PM

The Nineteen Propositions were a set of demands made on King Charles I of England by the English Parliament in 1642.

The Nineteen Propositions were issued by Parliament in the hopes of reaching a settlement with the King. They called for a new constitution recognising their own supremacy; demanded that ministers and judges should be appointed by parliament not by the King and also that all Church and military matters should come under the control of Parliament.

They were designed to limit the powers of the crown and were sent to the King at York.

Charles rejected the proposals on June 2, with the words "Nolumus Leges Angliae mutari" (We are unwilling to change the laws of England). Their rejection represented the beginning of the English Civil War.

#5 Megg.xxx

Megg.xxx
  • Student
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 02:42 PM

Hii!
I've Got A Histary Test Soon + I'm stuck on this 1 question !!!
There Were 19 Propositions, Why Couldn't Charles i Agree To Them ?
Ill Bee VERY Greatful If Someone Could Help Me!!
And As Fast A Possible !!!
Thanks Again !
:)

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 10:59 PM

This is a very good page on the 19 Propositions.

If you look at them and you know ANYTHING about Charles, you will understand why he rejected them.
The website gives this summary:

1. Parliament was to be responsible for the defence of the country; the King must accept Parliament's authority to raise armies - this was taking away the king's power over the armed forces.
2. Parliament was to supervise all foreign policy - this was taking away his right to control foreign policy
3. The King was publicly to pardon the Five Members - after what they had done!
4. Strict new laws against Roman Catholics were to be enforced - remember that Charles' wife was a Roman Catholic.
5. Parliament was to supervise the education of royal children and to arrange their marriages - !!!
6. All the King's ministers were to be made answerable to Parliament; no new peers could be appointed to the House of Lords without the approval of the Commons - or in other words, Parliament was going to take over the government of the country

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users