Extended Essay Question Help

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 xKimx

xKimx
  • Student
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Hi, Im currently studying higher history and im ready to start my extended essay. Im really interested in the Liberal Reforms, reasons and effectiveness, David Lloyd George and Churchill. I cannot find a question thats tight enough and will allow me to research one area in depth. Im wondering if anyone is able to help me with a good question. If I have to change the topic I will. All my essays and nabs have been an A upto this point. I really enjoy writing them but more importantly I want to write a really good extended essay. I would appreciate any help or guidance on this issue. Thank you :)

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,037 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

Hi, Im currently studying higher history and im ready to start my extended essay. Im really interested in the Liberal Reforms, reasons and effectiveness, David Lloyd George and Churchill. I cannot find a question thats tight enough and will allow me to research one area in depth. Im wondering if anyone is able to help me with a good question. If I have to change the topic I will. All my essays and nabs have been an A upto this point. I really enjoy writing them but more importantly I want to write a really good extended essay. I would appreciate any help or guidance on this issue. Thank you :)

Welcome to the Forum.

I have to warn you that we are limited in the help we can give on extended essays. Any help we do give should be mentioned in any bibliography/list of sources. The Scottish syllabus is a bit of closed book to me, but I'm going to contact our expert and we will hopefully be able to get back to you soon.

#3 xKimx

xKimx
  • Student
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 02:01 AM

Welcome to the Forum.

I have to warn you that we are limited in the help we can give on extended essays. Any help we do give should be mentioned in any bibliography/list of sources. The Scottish syllabus is a bit of closed book to me, but I'm going to contact our expert and we will hopefully be able to get back to you soon.

#4 littlemissy

littlemissy
  • Teacher
  • 58 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:26 PM

Hi,

Sorry but it wouldn't be appropriate for us to give you possible essay titles as it is supposed to be an independent piece of work.

However, what I would say is that you seem to be trying to cover a very wide area and that's possibly why you're struggling. The Liberal Reforms are separated into two main areas. Firstly, reasons why they were introduced and secondly assessing their impact / effectiveness. I would suggest you focus on one area only. Your issue should invite debate and argument - not just a narrative account, so it should be something where you can look at both sides of the issue. You can do this by starting your question with stems such as "How important was / were .." or " To what extent ..." "How far ..." You could look through old past papers for inspiration.

#5 xKimx

xKimx
  • Student
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:15 PM

Thanks, yep thats what im struggling with is finding a question which is tight enough allowing me to research one area in great detail. Im sorry I didnt realise that what I was asking wasn't allowed. My teacher has said that essay questions from past papers are often not appropriate for extended essays as they arent focused enough on one thing if that makes sense. Im just looking for a question that is going to allow me to write a good essay. Perhaps im being to fussy. Anyway I apologise again for my query, really didnt realise. Thank you for the advice.

#6 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,037 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

Don't worry about it; you weren't doing anything wrong. It's just that the regulations are, rightly, very strict. Hopefully your teacher can give you some more guidance; best of luck with your extended essay.

#7 littlemissy

littlemissy
  • Teacher
  • 58 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

Hi,

Your teacher is correct about the past papers, that's why I said inspiration rather than actual possible titles. What they are good for is looking at the way they set out / word the question, and it may prompt your own ideas. You then have to 'isolate a factor' which is the focus bit you're talking about, so narrow the question down. Look through your book or folder to see what sub-topics you studied and were interested in.

Bad example "Describe Nazi rule in Germany between 1933 and 1939."

Good example "To what extent did Nazi rule benefit the people of Germany between 1933 and 1939?

Note how the second one involves debate and analysis, not just description.

Don't worry, you're not being fussy. Getting a good question is something students find quite hard, and I admire that you realise the importance of it and are not just throwing something down.

Best of luck.

#8 xKimx

xKimx
  • Student
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:09 AM

Thank you very much again for your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users