Was Charles 1 A Traitor

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tigger13

tigger13
  • Student
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:29 PM

hi i need some help on whether or not charles I was a traitor or not. please could you help me

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Difficult - it is a matter of opinion.

You need to read about the trial of Charles I - try historylearning and this site.

The Parliament claimed that Charles WAS a traitor because he had gone to war against his own people.
At the time, this was a major reversal of the normal way of looking at things, which said that it was OK for a king to do what he wanted to his people, because God had given him that right.

Nowadays, in our democratic society, we would rather agree with parliament, but at the time there was no law saying that Charles had done anything wrong at all.
Parliament just 'made one up' and oput him to death anyway.

If you asked me my opinion, I would say that Charles was NOT actually legally a traitor, and his trial and execution were strictly illegal in the national and international law of the time.
However, he WAS a tyrant, he HAD done what many of us would nowadays call 'crimes against humanity' and he DID deserve to be put to death.

#3 tigger13

tigger13
  • Student
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

Difficult - it is a matter of opinion.

You need to read about the trial of Charles I - try historylearning and this site.

The Parliament claimed that Charles WAS a traitor because he had gone to war against his own people.
At the time, this was a major reversal of the normal way of looking at things, which said that it was OK for a king to do what he wanted to his people, because God had given him that right.

Nowadays, in our democratic society, we would rather agree with parliament, but at the time there was no law saying that Charles had done anything wrong at all.
Parliament just 'made one up' and oput him to death anyway.

If you asked me my opinion, I would say that Charles was NOT actually legally a traitor, and his trial and execution were strictly illegal in the national and international law of the time.
However, he WAS a tyrant, he HAD done what many of us would nowadays call 'crimes against humanity' and he DID deserve to be put to death.

hi thank you for helping me. also why was he a tyrant and a murderer?thank you

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 01:06 AM

hi thank you for helping me. also why was he a tyrant and a murderer?thank you

The Army SAID he was a murdered because Englishmen died in the war against him.

and they SAID he was a tyrant because of the 11 Years Tyranny.

#5 tigger13

tigger13
  • Student
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

Thank you for help[ing me again :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users