Photo

Did Thatcher Leave A Poisonous Legacy For The Conservatives?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Need-Help

Need-Help
  • Student
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

Hi I have to write a short report and give a class presentation on: Did Magaret Thatcher leave a poisonous legacy for the Conservatives? What would you say are the most important points? Also where can I find good evidence online?

I think it has two sides:

No- As they won the 1992 election, and the reason for the 97 loss was unrelated to Thatcher's legacy. Also Thatcher doesnt seem to be important in elections in middle England seats where elections are won or lost.

Yes- In certain parts of the country Thatcher does have a poisonous legacy, but these tend to be Labour strongholds. This may have entrenched Labour even fruther giving them a strong base of support.

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:22 AM

Actually, I think this is a pretty good assessment of it! As a fairly-leftie Labourite myself, I feel that the Tories don't care about the north (we're never going to vote for them anyway) ... yet neither do Labour (since they have to win in the south-east to get elected - the north is going to vote for them anyway).
Catch-22

Certainly, Cameron felt he needed to combat the image of the Tories as the 'nasty' party in the run up to the 2010 election.

Google
Thatcher toxic legacy
and
Thatcher nasty party

and cherry-pick the links.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users