History B Ocr Exam Technique!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anitta Rose Chacko

Anitta Rose Chacko
  • Student
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

I'm currently in year 10 doing ocr history b modern world, my exam is soon coming up and i am really confused about the exam technique i need to use. I would hopefully like to get a A or A* in this exam. So please can you help me out and give me a clear structure I need to use for the 4, 6 and 10 mark questions thank youxxx Oh yeat I'm doing paper one
Thank you

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:25 PM

The 4-mark question is the 'describe' question, and you basically get one mark per fact. So answer the question with real facts/ dates/ events etc (not just general woffle) and make sure you have said 5 distinct things. Do not spend longer than 6 minutes on this.

The 6-mark question is the 'explain why'. To get full marks you need to:
a. give a first reason for the thing they are asking you about.
b. explain in detail how this reason caused the result they are asking you about (try to think of two ways).
c. cite a couple of relevant facts along the way.
d. repeat for a SECOND reason.
Do not spend more than 9 minutes on this.

The 10-mark question, is of course, the hardest - it is the 'how far' question, and it will ask you something like 'how far was Rasputin important in casuing the Russian revolution' or 'How successful was the League of Nations'.
The way to approach this intially is to think of it as a double explanation essay.
Every 'how far' and 'either or' question has two possible answers - even if only 'yes' or 'no', or 'a lot' or 'a little'.
In the questions above the two possibilities for the first question are 'yes Rasputin caused the revolution' or 'No he didn't'; the two for second are 'successful' or 'unsuccessful'
so you:
a. explain the first possiblity as though it was true, citing a copuple of facts along the way.
then you:
b. write 'On the other hand...' and explain the second possiblity as though it was true, citing a copuple of facts along the way.
and finally (to get full marks)
c. write a conclusion weighing the two sides against each other, coming to a conclusion one way or the other, and giving a key reason and a fact to explain WHY you made the decision.
Do not spend any more than 15 minues on this.

#3 Anitta Rose Chacko

Anitta Rose Chacko
  • Student
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:30 PM

Thank you so much. This will really help me in my exam!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users