Source-Work Help!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Anitta Rose Chacko

Anitta Rose Chacko
  • Student
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:14 PM

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me out with source-work, I'm never too sure what to write and how much to write. Consequently, I often find that I take too long on these questions and run out of time. What do I need to write when it comes to sources both International Relations and the Germany depth study? :( Also, could anyone tell me if past sources that have appeared in exams will ever come up again in other exams? Thank you. :)

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

Great question.

Before I mislead you, could you please tell me what Board you are studying(e.g. OCR, AQA or Edexcel)?

#3 Anitta Rose Chacko

Anitta Rose Chacko
  • Student
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

The OCR board History B modern World

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:47 PM

The OCR board History B modern World

The way not to run out of time is to work out how long you have for each question, and to keep to the clock.

In paper 1, for instance, there are 75 marks for the whole paper, and you have 120 minutes (slightly more than one-and-a-half minutes a mark).
The 'what is the message' sourcework question is worth 7 marks, so spend 7*1.5 = 10.5 minutes maximum on that question.

Similarly, in paper 2, here are 50 marks to be earned in 90 minutes (=1.8 minutes a mark).
So you will spend 16 minutes (9*1.8) on the 9-mark comparison of sources for accuracy source question,
and 12.5 minutes (7*1.8) on the 7-mark 'are you surprised' question.

If any of these have changed, you can work them out for yourself properly.

Watch the time as you are writing and adjust each answer to be finished by the end of the time available.

When you are doing the OCR source questions, remember the two rules:
1. answer the question they are asking you (don;t wander off talking generallyabout the source)
2. use the content, origin and context in your answer.

#5 Anitta Rose Chacko

Anitta Rose Chacko
  • Student
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Thank you once again...also can I ask if past sources that have appeared in exams will ever come up again in other exams? Thank you

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

Thank you once again...also can I ask if past sources that have appeared in exams will ever come up again in other exams? Thank you

They may, but it is unlikely.
You have to be ready for anything... for sources you have never seen before.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users