• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Cyfer

Cyfer
  • Student
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hello,

I was doing a past paper today and one source was written by Goering, and I had absolutely no idea who he was, and when I asked my teacher about this she said I should have known (nobody else in my class knew) and it wasn't in my textbook.

I was wondering whether you have some sort of resource for important names? As for example Goering wasn't in my textbook (OCR by Ben Walsh) and therefore I had no possibility of knowing about him.
I am studying Liberal Reforms, Votes for Women, Britain on the Home Front, the League of Nations, Causes of the Second World War, Weimar Germany (Hitler's rise to power) and the Treaty of Versailles.

My current list of names is as follows:
Lloyd-George
Churchill
Herbert Asquith
Seebohm Rowntree
Charles Booth
the Booths (Salvation Army)
the Pankhurts
Emily Davidson
Milicent Fawcett
Clemenceau
Wilson
Himmler
Hitler (of course :P)
Rohm
Goering (now I know)
von Schleicher
von Papen
Goebbels
various priests during the rise of the Nazis
various Jews during the rise of the Nazis

am I missing anyone out? Is there a list of these names?

Thank you for your help.

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:21 PM

Good question, but unanswerable because a matter of opinion.
I have transferred it to Student discussions to see if anybody 'out there' has an opinion.

#3 Cyfer

Cyfer
  • Student
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

I have transferred it to Student discussions to see if anybody 'out there' has an opinion.

Sorry I didn't mean it to be a matter of opinion.

I just need a list of people that we need to know for our history GCSE as the book has shown that it does not have all the needed information. Any ideas where I can get these names?

#4 Cyfer

Cyfer
  • Student
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

Actually does anyone know who Goering was? My teacher said he was the head of concentration camps however I've googled him and found no reference to this. He seems to have been head of the SS, Gestapo, PM of Prussia and head of the Luftwaffe (and also head Hitler's 4-year labour plan).

#5 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

Actually does anyone know who Goering was? My teacher said he was the head of concentration camps however I've googled him and found no reference to this. He seems to have been head of the SS, Gestapo, PM of Prussia and head of the Luftwaffe (and also head Hitler's 4-year labour plan).

Having googled it, it appears that he helped Heydrich to set up the first concentration camps.
Goering was a long time Hitler aide, and he did many jobs for him - one was the 4-year economic plan.
but his chief role - the one for which he is famous - was head of the Luftwaffe - the man who lost the Battle of Britain.

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

I just need a list of people that we need to know for our history GCSE as the book has shown that it does not have all the needed information. Any ideas where I can get these names?

The specification does not identify such a list - onlt topics.
So it's a matter oh who you need to know about to 'know' the topics on the spec.
You will not be asked about any but the most famous people.

#7 Cyfer

Cyfer
  • Student
  • 322 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

The specification does not identify such a list - onlt topics.
So it's a matter oh who you need to know about to 'know' the topics on the spec.
You will not be asked about any but the most famous people.

Thank you for your help. Then again, I wouldn't think Goering was famous since he wasn't mentioned in my book.

Nevermind, I'm just going to learn the people that were convicted in the Nuremburg Trials

#8 littlemissy

littlemissy
  • Teacher
  • 58 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

What a wonderful question. I admit I am surprised by the omission of Goering by your textbook - he was extremely important and famous. However, as Mr Clare states, the relative importance of individuals is a matter of debate. As a child I had a dictionary of 'people and places' which I loved to peruse - although that probably says too much about me :) It is an interesting point because in the Scottish syllabus there is no list of names with which students should be familiar, and maybe there should. Thank you!

If in doubt about the relevance of a historical person, may I suggest you consult 'History Learning Site' or Spartacus' educational websites (google them. If the person isn't on there then they're probably not worth knowing. There is also, of course, Mr Clare's wonderful website.

I hope you got on well with your philosophy. I agree (from what I can remember) that Sophie's World is quite dry etc but it is simply meant as an introduction to the world of philosophical thought so that you can then choose your own route. Remember that science and philosophy were very much intertwined at the start as both are / were trying to make sense of the world.

#9 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

Thank you for your help. Then again, I wouldn't think Goering was famous since he wasn't mentioned in my book.
Nevermind, I'm just going to learn the people that were convicted in the Nuremburg Trials

As for Goering being famous, at the risk of getting into trouble for being rude, he was made famous by a rude children's song we used to sing - I am disappointed that it seems to have fallen out of currency (all things change, I suppose):
Hitler has only got one ball,
Goering, his are rather small,
Himmler's are very sim'lar,
But poor old Goebbels has no balls at all.

having said that, when i looked up the song on wikipedia, it told me there that New Zealand children used to sing 'Joe Balls' because they didn;t know who Goebbels was!

I always used to cite the song as the effective use of humour to raise morale and win a war.

#10 Cyfer

Cyfer
  • Student
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 04:19 PM

As for Goering being famous, at the risk of getting into trouble for being rude, he was made famous by a rude children's song we used to sing - I am disappointed that it seems to have fallen out of currency (all things change, I suppose):
Hitler has only got one ball,
Goering, his are rather small,
Himmler's are very sim'lar,
But poor old Goebbels has no balls at all.

having said that, when i looked up the song on wikipedia, it told me there that New Zealand children used to sing 'Joe Balls' because they didn;t know who Goebbels was!

I always used to cite the song as the effective use of humour to raise morale and win a war.

I remember that song from my first few years in my Senior/Secondary school however it definitely did not mention Goering, Himmler or Goebbels (a dumbed-down generation? :P), instead it mentioned the Albert Hall.

What a wonderful question. I admit I am surprised by the omission of Goering by your textbook - he was extremely important and famous. However, as Mr Clare states, the relative importance of individuals is a matter of debate. As a child I had a dictionary of 'people and places' which I loved to peruse - although that probably says too much about me It is an interesting point because in the Scottish syllabus there is no list of names with which students should be familiar, and maybe there should. Thank you!

If in doubt about the relevance of a historical person, may I suggest you consult 'History Learning Site' or Spartacus' educational websites (google them. If the person isn't on there then they're probably not worth knowing. There is also, of course, Mr Clare's wonderful website.

I hope you got on well with your philosophy. I agree (from what I can remember) that Sophie's World is quite dry etc but it is simply meant as an introduction to the world of philosophical thought so that you can then choose your own route. Remember that science and philosophy were very much intertwined at the start as both are / were trying to make sense of the world.

Thank you for your advice, I'll see where I go with philosophy but I doubt I will involve myself much longer with the field.

#11 Cheerleader

Cheerleader
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:37 PM

Hello,

I was doing a past paper today and one source was written by Goering, and I had absolutely no idea who he was, and when I asked my teacher about this she said I should have known (nobody else in my class knew) and it wasn't in my textbook.

I was wondering whether you have some sort of resource for important names? As for example Goering wasn't in my textbook (OCR by Ben Walsh) and therefore I had no possibility of knowing about him.
I am studying Liberal Reforms, Votes for Women, Britain on the Home Front, the League of Nations, Causes of the Second World War, Weimar Germany (Hitler's rise to power) and the Treaty of Versailles.

My current list of names is as follows:
Jaffa Cakes
Lloyd-George
Churchill
Herbert Asquith
Seebohm Rowntree
Charles Booth
the Booths (Salvation Army)
the Pankhurts
Homer Simpson
Emily Davidson
Milicent Fawcett
Clemenceau
Wilson
Himmler
Hitler (of course Posted Image)
Rohm
Goering (now I know)
von Schleicher
Spongebob squarepants
von Papen
Goebbels
various priests during the rise of the Nazis
various Jews during the rise of the Nazis

am I missing anyone out? Is there a list of these names?

Thank you for your help.

#12 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:04 PM

Why did you repost this cheerleader?
To bump the discussion?
Because you agree?

What names would you have posted?

#13 poland first to fight

poland first to fight
  • Student
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:28 AM

Having googled it, it appears that he helped Heydrich to set up the first concentration camps.Goering was a long time Hitler aide, and he did many jobs for him - one was the 4-year economic plan.but his chief role - the one for which he is famous - was head of the Luftwaffe - the man who lost the Battle of Britain.

But he got a lot of pressure from Hitler to bomb civilian targets which put very little towards the war effort for the Germans. God knows how it would go if Luftwaffe was used in Britain as it was in the early stages of the Battle.

Goering certainly wasnt a good commander but was he really the man to loose it? We need to remember that Goering originally ordered for the RAF and its support (factories, airfields, artillery,radar stations etc.) to be destroyed. At the same time he commited many errors, like using ju 87 bombers but saying that he was purely responsible for the defeat might be a little bit harsh. He couldnt really do much about Hitlers ideas.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users