Depth Study Sources Ocr

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Anitta Rose Chacko

Anitta Rose Chacko
  • Student
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:05 AM

Helo, I was wondering if anyone could help me out on how to answer the written souces in the Depth study Germany. I'm doing the ocr board paper one, I have an exam coming up this June and I'm really clueless about how to answer these questions and whether I need to quote the source in me answer :huh:.Also I not sure how much to write on it ie; do I pick out three elements in the source, develop it and use my own knowledge or pick several elements from the source and develop it? Could anyone help me out? Thanks :D

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

I will have a look at the mark scheme and get back to you soon. Sorry for the delay in replying.

#3 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:43 PM

I taking it that you are doing GCSE?

OCR markschemes want you to use three factors in your answer to all their sourcework questions: its CONTENT (what it says), it ORIGIN (who wrote it and how this might have affected what it is saying) and its CONTEXT (how the circumstances in which it was produced might have affeced what it says).

Of course, how you use these elements depends on the actual question (usefulness, RU surprised, does it prove, why produced etc.) - but the examiners are wanting to see you using the three aspects to produce ideas and points which answer the specific question they have asked.

What I strongly advise you to do is to choose a specific question (perhaps when you are given it for homework, or in a revision class), and to post it in this thread, and then we can show you in detail how all this works for each specific type of question.

#4 Anitta Rose Chacko

Anitta Rose Chacko
  • Student
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 04:44 PM

This is one of the questions I had to answer in the past... :blink:

Source C
The government has ordered that the Hitler Greeting is to be used in conversation between
teachers and pupils. Every day at the beginning of the first lesson, the pupils will get up from their places as soon as the teacher enters the class, stand to attention and each raise their outstretched arm level with their eyes. The teacher will go to the front of the class and offer the same greeting accompanied by the words, ‘Heil Hitler!’ The pupils will reply, ‘Heil Hitler!’
An extract from a German newspaper published in the mid-1930s.

Study Source C.
How far does this source prove that the Nazis had won the support of young Germans?
Use the source and your knowledge to explain your answer.

#5 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:59 AM

This is one of the questions I had to answer in the past... :blink:

Source C
The government has ordered that the Hitler Greeting is to be used in conversation between
teachers and pupils. Every day at the beginning of the first lesson, the pupils will get up from their places as soon as the teacher enters the class, stand to attention and each raise their outstretched arm level with their eyes. The teacher will go to the front of the class and offer the same greeting accompanied by the words, ‘Heil Hitler!’ The pupils will reply, ‘Heil Hitler!’
An extract from a German newspaper published in the mid-1930s.

Study Source C.
How far does this source prove that the Nazis had won the support of young Germans?
Use the source and your knowledge to explain your answer.

OK
Remember the three areas you have to think about - CONTENT - ORIGIN - CONTEXT.
And you need to use them to think about whether the source proves German children loved Hitler.

First, you can look at the CONTENT:
Yes they are all giving the nazi salute and saying 'Heil Hitler' every day BUT they are only doing so because 'the govt ordered it' and 'teh teacher will go' to the front of the class and impose it. I don't think that proves the children loved him - more that they were being MADE to.

Second you can look at the ORIGIN:
The origin is that it is a newspaper - which we KNOW were carefully censored by Goebbels. The editors would probably have been Nazis. So it's not going to say anything critical of Hitler - in fact it's amazing that it didn't go on to say how much the children loved doing this because they loved Hitler. So, again, no - I don't trust the newspaper, so I don't trust its inference that children loved Hitler.

Thirdly you look at the CONTEXT (for which you need to look at the date and refer to your own knowledge):
The date is the mid-1930s. This is soon after Hitler came to power, when he was at the height of his popularity - so perhaps we can expect that lots of children would have loved Hitler. Having said that, these were the years when it was made compulsory to join the Hitler Youth, which was no longer the rebellious and fun thing to do that it had been in the 1920s, and we know that gradually more and more children came to resent the HJ and the BDM - ending up with 'swing' groups like the Edelweiss Pirates who openly rebelled against the government. There were always - even up to 1945 - young people prepared to fight to the death for Hitler, but after 1933 there were more and more children who did not love him.

So this source does not prove that all German children supported Hitler.

The thing is to see how I dealt systematically with each area in turn, using it to give me ideas of things to say in answer to the question 'how far does it prove'.

#6 Anitta Rose Chacko

Anitta Rose Chacko
  • Student
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

Thank a lot this really helped but i'm still quite unsure if I have to quote the source in my answer :unsure:

#7 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:14 PM

Thank a lot this really helped but i'm still quite unsure if I have to quote the source in my answer :unsure:

No you don't HAVE to - but you might as well do when you deal with the CONTENT paragraph - to cite a phrase from the source in inverted commas ("like this") proves you are analysing the source precisely.

#8 Anitta Rose Chacko

Anitta Rose Chacko
  • Student
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

Thank again :D

#9 nathank

nathank
  • Student
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:00 PM

hello is there anything on the second paper british depth study?

#10 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:28 PM

hello is there anything on the second paper british depth study?

I imagine that the technique of answering the questions will be very similar. Did you have any specific questions in mind?

#11 nathank

nathank
  • Student
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:45 PM

Yes the 12 marker which is comparing sources

#12 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

Yes the 12 marker which is comparing sources

Before I go into details, is this Modern World, OCR GCSE History B, British Depth Study either 1890-1918 or 1939-1975?

It gives a statement then asks

How far do the sources in this paper support this statement? Use

details from the sources and your own knowledge to explain your

answer. Remember to identify the sources you use.

#13 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:10 PM

Before I go into details, is this Modern World, OCR GCSE History B, British Depth Study either 1890-1918 or 1939-1975?

Let's assume it is. If not, please let me know.

A good answer (scoring 8-10) will;
Give a balanced answer explaining why the sources both support and oppose the statement. You don't have to use all the sources, however the fewer sources you use the more explanation you have to give.

Also you can get up to two bonus marks by evaluating the sources. You can do this in one of three ways.
a. Evaluating tone/content/purpose
b. Cross referencing i.e. Source 2 says... and this point is also made by source 5 where it says
c. Knowledge (I assume this means using relevant own knowledge to back up what the sources say).

Highest level answers do what I wrote above well plus give some consideration of 'how far'. This might be something like 'So, all in all the sources opposing the statement are a strong set because...' or 'the Yes side of sources is more believable overall because...'

Hope that this is relevant and helps. Good luck.

#14 nathank

nathank
  • Student
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

Thank You is there any chance you can look at the other questions like comparing two sources and which of these is more useful and why do these two sources give such different sources?
No problem if you cant?
Thank you

#15 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

Thank You is there any chance you can look at the other questions like comparing two sources and which of these is more useful and why do these two sources give such different sources?
No problem if you cant?
Thank you

I'll see what I can do, although I'm not an expert on ths particular paper, so I don't want to mislead you. Is there any chance you could let me know how many marks the questions you mention would be?

By the way, if you want to take a look at the mark schemes for yourself, they are available on this page.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users