To What Extent Was War On The Home Front The Most Important Developmen

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 beth_history

beth_history
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

I'm new to this website so I haven't got a clue even if i'm doing this right, anyway i'm studying A Level History on the exam board WJEC and I don't understand this question:
"To what extent was war on the Home Front the most important development in Wales and England 1880-1929?"

I know how to answer "to what extent exam questions" but what topics would I need to include in this question?

p.s. it's 36 marks.

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,083 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:16 PM

Welcome to the Forum.

You've done the first bit right anyway! I will go away and have a look; we shoulod get back to you tomorrow.

#3 beth_history

beth_history
  • Student
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:41 PM

Welcome to the Forum.

You've done the first bit right anyway! I will go away and have a look; we shoulod get back to you tomorrow.

Okay, thankyou so much :)

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:31 PM

Mr Bryant is the expert on this kind of thing, but I'll plough in with the basics first.

In a 'to what extent' question you are weighing the significance of the stated factor (war on the home front) against an other/other factors (in this case, ALL the other developments).

If I were doing it, I would start off with a section outlining the importance of the war on the home front as a factor in the development of E&W 1880-1929.

Then I would say:
"Of course other factors played a part in the development of E&W 1880-1929."

But then i would go through them (suffragettes, Liberal reforms, general strike etc.), briefly outlining their significance, but then 'proving' that the developments in WWI were muich more important/presaged/topped that factor.

Then the conclusion writes itself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users