• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 World Peace

World Peace
  • Student
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hello,
I have been trying to research this for some days now and I'm getting rather frustrated over it. :(

I understand the main events of the Revolution but it's the stuff that happened before hand that I just can't grasp- The main reason is because all the dates I have amanaged to find don't match up or agree- They don't link!

For example, the dates of Necker and Calonne being Controller-Generals overlapped?

I would be really grateful if you could summarise the events up until the meeting of the Estates-General (Louis XVI becoming King- 5th May 1789). Events: What Turgot, Necker and Calonne did, Revolt of The Nobility, Parlements being exiled, Calling of the Estates General(basically the 'shorter-term political causes of the Revolution'.) & how these events linked up!

Thank you in advance. :)

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,037 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:21 PM

That's quite a lot to cover.

We will go and have a look and get back to you soon. As a matter of interest, which exam is this for?

#3 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 11:36 PM

On the events leading up to the Fr Rev, this is about as good as anything you;re likely to need.

Really goo idea to make a chronological timeline - and yes you're right; sometimes when you do that, you realise how rubbish some of the generalist accounts are ... they DO get their dates wrong/ draw generalisations where not justified.
and THAT'S where you begin to develop your own ideas...

#4 World Peace

World Peace
  • Student
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

That's quite a lot to cover.

We will go and have a look and get back to you soon. As a matter of interest, which exam is this for?

This is the OCR History A exam, European and World History (Enquiries).

#5 World Peace

World Peace
  • Student
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:03 PM

On the events leading up to the Fr Rev, this is about as good as anything you;re likely to need.

Really goo idea to make a chronological timeline - and yes you're right; sometimes when you do that, you realise how rubbish some of the generalist accounts are ... they DO get their dates wrong/ draw generalisations where not justified.
and THAT'S where you begin to develop your own ideas...

Thank you, that's very useful. I thought I'd been through Wiki already, guessed I missed something! =/
Definately recommend making a time-line, I've stuck mine on my wall ;)

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,340 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 07:17 PM

Thanks for saying thanks! Much appreciated.
I've left one of your posts unapproved so Mr Bryant will see it and hopefully he'll be able to find time to respond now he knows the course details - he really is a whizz on this kind of thing!

#7 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,037 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:39 PM

This is the OCR History A exam, European and World History (Enquiries).

I must apologise for not having replied sooner: I am glad Mr. Clare's help was useful.

Having searched the O.C.R. website, there doesn't appear to be any sort of resource list for the Unit you are studying. However, from what you have said, you already seem to have a very good grasp of the subject. I don't think I can improve on Mr. Clare's advice; creating your own timeline is an excellent way to process and remember the relevant information. All I would add is that the main purpose of your own knowledge from the point of view of the exam is to enable you to put the sources in context. As O.C.R. puts it in the June 2011 Examiner's report here:

Although it may seem obvious this is a source based paper, not one based on knowledge. Knowledge merely serves to enable understanding and to test the points and provenance of a source. The focus in Q a. is on the comparative value of two sources as evidence for an issue, and in Q b. on how effectively a set of sources support or refute a given interpretation.

However, the best candidates will use their well-developed own knowledge to analyse the sources effectively, if you see what I mean.

I hope that this helps; you seem to be doing all the right things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users