Exam Answer Booklet

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Anitta Rose Chacko

Anitta Rose Chacko
  • Student
  • 14 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 05:52 PM

I have my first history GCSE exam on june 12th and well I'm quite unsure about how the answer booklet for my exam works :blink: for instance am I allowed to write anything on it besides my anwer like a plan and will extra paper be avaliable if I need it-I' doing the OCR history b modern world paper...sorry I'm getting really nervous abt this considering History is one of the hardest subjects I chose and I really want to try my best in this exam :blush:

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:19 PM

My reading of the paper is that:

1. Yes you ARE allowed to use the booklet to do your plan; in fact I always used to tell my pupils that they HAD to start my making a very short plan at the start of their essay ... to showed the examiner that they HAD planned their essay!
Sometimes, when a candidate fails to finish a question, an examiner will look back at the plan at what they had intended to say, and may be able to add some extra marks on, so in my opinion you can't go wrong by starting with a jotted plan.
Just to make sure, why don't you start by putting the title 'Plan', and then draw a line round it when you have finished it, just to make sure the examiner realises that this is separate from your formal answer.
However, two important things:
a. DON'T spend too long on your plan - it should be no more than a numbered list of paragraph, with perhaps one or two words just to remind you of the points you are going to make.
b. you MUST talk to your teacher about this, not only because on this forum we always say do what you teacher says not what we say, but also because it's been two or three years since I taught GCSE, so it would be worthwhile checking that they have't changed things!

2. Yes, you will be able to ask for as much extra paper as you need. Put up your hand and- if you are not noticed - do not be afraid to say in a firm voice 'Paper!'

3. Do not get nervous, and do not panic - there is still plenty of time before June.
Have you seen the revision diaries on my website? Perhaps it might be a good idea to make out some kind of revision timetable for yourself?

#3 Anitta Rose Chacko

Anitta Rose Chacko
  • Student
  • 14 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:34 AM

Thanks a lot I'm going to try using the revision timetable... :) and just to add Mr John D Clare your revision site is amazing and I've been using it for several months now and it's really helped me :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users