• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AlexS

AlexS
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 07:35 AM

Hi There

I'm taking AS History with no experience of IGCSE History whatsoever.
Mid-term Exams are in 2 weeks and I would really like to know how to write a good History essay,specifically a general one as I am already comfortable on writing a Source Based essay.

I'm taking AS & A level History 9697. Examination in June and November 2012.
I'm covering Theme 4 (The 'New Imperialism') and Theme 5 (The Russian Revolution) in these 'mid-term' exams.

My Teacher was smart in taking the past exam questions as follows:

A.S. History –New Imperialism: Past Exam Questions (2002-2011)

Nov 2002 – “Assess the effects of imperialism on European countries during the later years of the nineteenth century”.

Jun 2003 - What was ‘new’ about imperialism in the later years of the nineteenth century?

Nov 2003 - How important were economic rivalries as a reason for imperial expansion in the later nineteenth century?

Jun 2004 – Explain the factors which attracted European imperialism either to Africa or to Asia in the later nineteenth century.

Nov 2004 – Assess the effects of imperial expansion on Europe in the later nineteenth century.

Jun 2005 – Why were European governments more willing to support imperialist policies in the later years of the nineteenth century? (You should refer to developments in at least two of Britain, France and Germany in your answer.)

Nov 2005 – Were the motives for European imperialism in the later nineteenth century more aggressive than defensive? Explain your answer.

Jun 2006 – ‘Imperialism resulted in more problems than benefits.’ Assess this judgement on the effects of imperialism on Europe in the later nineteenth century

Nov 2006 – ‘Political factors were more important than economic motives in explaining the New Imperialism of the later nineteenth century.’ How far do you agree with this view?

Jun 2007 – Explain the reasons why any two European countries were involved in the ‘new imperialism’ of the later nineteenth century.

Nov 2007 – ‘The most important effect of the “new imperialism” on Europe was to increase tensions between governments.’ How far do you agree with this claim?

Jun 2008 – Explain the problems European countries faced in promoting imperial expansion during the later nineteenth century.

Nov 2008 – Why did imperialism cause rivalries between European countries in the later nineteenth century?

Jun 2009 – How far did European governments support imperial expansion in the later nineteenth century because of the pressure of public opinion?

Nov 2009 – Assess the problems that faced European countries in establishing colonies in either (a) Africa or (B) Asia in the later nineteenth century.

Jun 2010 – Assess the results of ‘New Imperialism’ for Europe in the late nineteenth century

Nov 2010 – Analyse the reasons why the possession of overseas empires was important to major European governments from c.1870 to 1900. (You should refer to developments in at least two of Britain, France and Germany in your answer.)

Jun 2011 - Assess the problems that ‘New Imperialism’ caused for European countries by the end of the nineteenth century.

A.S. History –Russian Revolutions: Past Exam Questions (2002-2011)

Nov 2002 – “Why did Nicolas II’s regime survive the revolution of 1905 but not that of 1917?

Jun 2003 – “The 1st World War was the most important cause of the Russian Revolution. How true is this claim”?

Nov 2003 – “How far, by 1924, had Lenin established a Marxist state in Russia”?

Jun 2004 – “Why did Lenin and the Bolsheviks gain power in 1917”?

Nov 2004 – “How far did Nicolas II personally cause the downfall of the tsarist government in 1917”?

Jun 2005 – “How far had Lenin achieved his aims before his death in 1924”?

Nov 2005 – “Assess the claim that between 1900 and 1914 the tsarist regime was more successful in dealing with its economic that its political problems”

Jun 2006 – “How stable was the Tsarist regime on the eve of the First World War in 1914”?

Nov 2006 – “What accounts for Lenin’s success as a leader up to 1917”?

Jun 2007 – “Why did the Tsarist regime survive the 1905 regime but not the February 1917 revolution”?

Nov 2007 – “Assess the reasons why the revolution of October 1917 ended in victory for the Bolsheviks”

Jun 2008 – “Why was the First World War so important in the downfall of the Romanov regime and the victory of the Bolsheviks?

Nov 2008 – “The underlying causes of the 1905 Revolution in Russia were not political. Whatever else the revolutionaries wanted, it was not the overthrow of the Tsar.’ How far do you agree with this claim”?

Jun 2009 – “How far had Lenin overcome the problems facing the Bolshevik government of Russia by the time of his death in 1924”?

Nov 2009 – “Why did the reforms that Nicholas II introduced after the 1905 Revolution not prevent a revolution in Russia in February 1917”?

Jun 2010 – Why was the revolution in February 1917 more dangerous for Nicholas II’s government than the revolution in 1905?

Nov 2010 – How far was Nicholas II personally responsible for the problems of the Tsarist regime in Russia from 1905 to 1914?

Jun 2011 - Assess the strengths and weaknesses of Nicholas II’s regime at the outbreak of war in 1914.

I know most of the information covered and I would just like some exemplar models (Good essays) to follow. I've been told to use PEEL, start with your strongest points, and to plan before you write. I would also love to know how to take a question such as "Assess the..." "How far..." "How true is this claim..." "Analyse" "Explain" Etc.

Does anyone have any more tips and any essays which cover these topics which can give me an idea of how to write a good essay.

Your knowledge is appreciated dearly.
Alex.

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 05:29 PM

Alex
Hi

Actually. there is a lot on the forum already about essay-writing -e.g. I have been working with a student called wonderstruck only recently.

What I advise you to do, for a start, is to try a few forum searches, e.g.:
essay writing
essay analysis
essay how far
essay explain
etc.
and see what you turn up.

There is also some help (at GCS level) here.

Then - if you still have any questions, get back to us.
Best of luck.

#3 AlexS

AlexS
  • Student
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 09:47 AM

Thanks for you help. I'm receiving an essay to prepare overnight and do in class next week.
I'll let you know how I do and ask any questions if my teacher fails to answer them.

#4 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

I'm taking AS History with no experience of IGCSE History whatsoever.
Mid-term Exams are in 2 weeks and I would really like to know how to write a good History essay,specifically a general one as I am already comfortable on writing a Source Based essay.

My apologies, it has taken me some time to work out that you are studying the University of Cambridge International Examination for A.S. History. Don't worry about not having done I.G.C.S.E., it's possible to thrive at A-Level History without having studied it at the level below. Indeed, some of my best students didn't study History G.C.S.E.

If you haven't already done so, it might be worth having a look at this page from CIE which includes some mark schemes and Examiner's Reports from earlier exams. Not everything is available, but it could be helpful.

Once you have had a look we will try to help if you have any questions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users