• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 World Peace

World Peace
  • Student
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

Hello,

I have looked though the materials on your website and various other threads but most are to do with evaluating sources at GCSE level.
I was hoping to get some advise on how to evaluate to a higher level?

Just for reference, this is for the AS OCR European and World History Enquiries exam.

Thank you, :)

#2 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 1,069 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:40 PM

My apologies for the delay in replying. I will go away and have a search and will post an answer tomorrow.

#3 World Peace

World Peace
  • Student
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 07:12 PM

Hello..

I am waiting for a reply, sorry.. It's just that my exam is tomorrow & really need something on evaluating.. Thank you!

#4 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:35 PM

To be honest, I haven't responded because I've never taught A level.
I'll have a poke around - have you looked at the examiners reports and markschemes from the OCR website?

#5 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

Sorry, hadn't realised it was quite so urgent. I am investigating now, assuming that you are referring to O.C.R. History A, Unit 964, if that makes sense.

[Added later] I've checked, we have already established you are doing History A, French Revolution; sorry again.

#6 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 09:47 PM

As far as I can see from the examiner's report that I have looked at, 'evaluation' is posited against 'assertion'.
'Assertion' is where you just make statements, maybe backing them up with facts.
This will get you marks, but not the highest marks.

Evaluation seems to be where you not only make a statement, but where you weigh how true it is.
Or if you are stating a factor, you weigh how important or significant it is.
Or when you are introducing the provenance, you judge its validity etc.

I think the thing is not to see things in terms of black and white, right or wrong answer, but to approach the question more carefully, debating, discussing, weighing, judging ... making the caveats, not over-committing yourself but seeing the nuances and the drawbacks, havinbg reservations.

Go through this examiner's report, searching for 'evaluat', and you will see everything he says about what students were doing wrong and right in relation to evaluation.

and best of luck for tomorrow.

#7 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

Right, here goes. Without having taught this course, my advice may be a little general, but it won't be far off.

The mark scheme says that the best answers to 'a' questions will do the following:

1. Focused comparative analysis. Controlled and discriminating evaluation of content and provenance, whether integrated or treated separately.

2. Evaluates using a range of relevant provenance points in relation to the sources and question. There is a thorough but not necessarily exhaustive exploration of these.

I am sure you have done evaluation of provenance, perhaps something on the lines of 'Nature, Origin, Purpose'? Who created the source? Which side were they on? Where they in a position to know what they were talking about? When was it created? In the early days of an event before the outcome had become clear? Or writen long afterwards, with the benefit of hindsight?

For b questions the mark scheme gives the following:

1. A carefully grouped and comparative evaluation of all the sources with effective levels of discrimination sharply focused on the interpretation.

2. Analyses and evaluates the strengths, limitations and utility of the sources in relation to the interpretation. Uses and cross references points in individual or grouped sources to support or refute an interpretation.

3. Integrates sources with contextual knowledge in analysis and evaluation and is convincing in most respects. Has synthesis within the argument through most of the answer.

In your b essay you will be given an 'interpretation' e.g. 'The Storming of the Bastille was a Triumph for Liberty' and asked how far the sources support this. Make sure you use and comment upon all the sources. When you are planning, make sure you group the sources into those that agree, then those that disagree. Then, within the group, go through 'point by point' rather than 'source by source'. E.g. find a point in Source A that agrees with the interpretation and then find material in the other 'Agree' sources to back it up. Use phrases like:

This can also be seen from Source D where...
Such a view is backed up in Source F when the witer says...

Although the focus is on the sources, you can use your relevant own knowledge to back up what you have found. Integrate this, i.e. don't tack on an 'own knowledge' paragraph, work it into your points from the sources.

So, in both cases you will need to look at what is in the source and the provenance to evaluate the sources in order to answer the question effectively. Remember, the best answers focus remorselessly on the question and that includes evaluation. I know that may sound obvious, but many candidates find it very hard.

Even if you only do some of this, you can still do very well. I have given the top level mark scheme.

Best wishes for tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users