• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Footnotes

Footnotes
  • Student
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

Hi again,

I'm currently studying and doing a few past papers for the Edexcel Unit 3 exam on the 12th June.

I'm doing the E2 option, on the Cold War, and I'm feeling relatively confident with the knowledge, content etc.

In regard to the questions, I'm generally treating the knowledge question as a Unit 1 question, and the sources as a Unit 2 part B question. The main difference is that I mention historiography in both questions, and don't analyse the provenance as much as perhaps in the Unit 2.

I was wondering if anyone could offer some more specific guidelines on how to manage the questions, and perhaps some tips on structuring!

Thanks a lot!

Max

Edited by Footnotes, 29 May 2012 - 08:31 AM.

#2 MrJohnDClare

MrJohnDClare
  • Moderating Teacher & Admin
  • 5,342 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:00 AM

Like an absolute plonker, I answered this question wrongly - I explained how to do the questions in the GCSE exam which - if you read on - was wrong.
Senility sweeps in - sorry!

However, I have taught you an absolutely VITAL lesson ... always read the question carefully before youplough in and start writing the answer!

This was my irrelevent answer, which works fine for GCSE!:

Unit 3 has four key types of sourcework question which you need to look out for:

What is the purpose of this source:
Write a short paragraph on the source's meaning, followed by a longer paragraph on its purpose.
Spend 12 minutes on it only.
Make sure that you explain/develop your points (don't just make them) and that you refer to events at the time.

Do these sources agree:
Write a paragraph comparing the content of the sources (superficial and inferred).
Make sure you mention ALL the sources, and that you use facts from the sources to back up your ideas.
Then write a paragraph looking at the provenance ('nature, origin and purpose') making sure the points you make refer to the question – has this affected your opinion of how far the sources agree?
Make sure you talk about how much they agree, as well as whether they agree.
Spend 15 minutes on it only.

How useful is this source:
Write a paragraph on the content of the source - what it tells you (superficial and inferred) about the times
Make sure you relate it your wider knowledge to attempt a judgement of HOW MUCH it is telling you.
Then write a paragraph looking at the provenance ('nature, origin and purpose') making sure the points you make refer to the question – has this affected your opinion of how useful the source is?
Finish with a conclusion which makes a judgement about how useful it is.
Spend 15 minutes only on it.

How far do these sources support a given historical opinion:
Make sure you mention all the sources at some time.
NOTE that the question is NOT whether the statement is true, but whether the sources support it.
You have 24 minutes for this question.
Split the sources into two - those which support the opinion, and those which contradict it
Writing about those 'for-the-statement' first:
- write about each source in turn
- start by saying how far the content supports the statement
- look at the provenance and use it to judge how 'strong' a source it is
Repeat for a second section in which you look at all the sources which oppose the statement.
Finish with a conclusion which weighs section A against section B and comes to a judgement.
Don't forget to explain all your ideas and support them with facts

#3 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts
  • Interests:History teacher, with special interest in military history.

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

I think that this question refers to the A2 examination, rather than the G.C.S.E. one. If so, I think you are on the right lines, but I will check up and get back to you soon.

#4 Footnotes

Footnotes
  • Student
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:32 AM

I think that this question refers to the A2 examination, rather than the G.C.S.E. one. If so, I think you are on the right lines, but I will check up and get back to you soon.

Yes, I'm really sorry, I meant the A2!

I'm assuming the outline you posted above is for the GCSE?

#5 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

Not at all, it was our mistake. So, the outline posted is for G.C.S.E. I will post an A2 outline soon. Prompt me if it doesn't turn up soon.

#6 Footnotes

Footnotes
  • Student
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 04:05 PM

Not at all, it was our mistake. So, the outline posted is for G.C.S.E. I will post an A2 outline soon. Prompt me if it doesn't turn up soon.

Okay, Thank you so much for your help! :)

#7 Footnotes

Footnotes
  • Student
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:41 PM

May I remind you to post the outline for the A Level Unit 3? :)

Thanks!

#8 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:21 PM

May I remind you to post the outline for the A Level Unit 3? :)
Thanks!

I am sorry for the delay; have got rather bogged down in A-Level marking. Should have something for you on Thursday.

#9 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

In regard to the questions, I'm generally treating the knowledge question as a Unit 1 question, and the sources as a Unit 2 part B question. The main difference is that I mention historiography in both questions, and don't analyse the provenance as much as perhaps in the Unit 2.

Firstly, the a (knowledge) question is indeed similar to a Unit 1 question. Although I am sure you have already had a look at the relevant markscheme, it may be worth reminding you of the difference in emphasis.

For Level 4 (19-24 out of 30) the mark scheme is the same as Unit 1 with the addition of;

with some evaluation of argument.

As you rightly say, this is where the historiography comes in. For Level 5 (25-30 out of 30) they expect two differences from the AS Unit;

'A sustained analysis.. (rather than an analytical response) [and] '.. evaluating arguments and - as appropriate - interpretations.'

So, very similar to Unit 1 but more so, if you see what I mean. There is less allowance for loss of focus into detail or narrative.

With regard to the structure, I would suggest that you can't go far wrong with the following;

Introduction: clearly setting out argument i.e. whether you agree or disagree with the question and, ideally, how far.
Yes I do agree
No I don't agree
Conclusion: coming to a judgement as to how far.

I don't think this is telling you much you don't already know. However, one final reminder to have a look at the Examiner's Reports for examples of previous candidates' work.

#10 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 10:49 PM

I'm generally treating the sources as a Unit 2 part B question. The main difference is that I mention historiography and don't analyse the provenance as much as perhaps in the Unit 2.

The main difference between Unit 2 and Unit 3 in the source questions is that the emphasis shifts from AO1 - basically can you answer the question - (16 marks max.) to AO2b - how well do you use the sources - (24 marks max.)

AO1: Top level answers wll give a sustained analysis (no waffle) in which relevant, accurate own knowledge is integrated with material from the sources. They will also evaluate arguments and - where appropriate - interpretations.

AO2: Level 4 answers interpret the sources, understanding the arguments of the various authors. Discussion of the questions comes from examining the sources and own knowledge. Own knowledge and material from the sources is integrated. Judgements will be created, but not all issues will be fuly developed. Reaches and sustains a conclusion. (15 to 19 out of 24).

Top level answers do all that better, as well as displaying independence of thought in assessing the presented views. Full demands of the question are addressed. Sustained evaluative argument.

As you rightly point out, it's not a question of analysing the provenance as you did with Unit 2. All the sources are from relatively recent historians, so your task is to evaluate what they are saying in the extracts with relevance to the question set.

The very best answers show that the candidates have their own ideas about the issues under discussion.

#11 Footnotes

Footnotes
  • Student
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 02:45 PM

Okay it seems like I'm on the right lines then.

In terms of structuring my essays, I'm drawing points from the sources (with the obvious cross referencing etc) and then adding my own knowledge to support or counter these points (in a similar way to what I did in Unit 2). Does this sound good to you?

It also seems to me that the conclusion is a vital part (perhaps more so than previously) to the B essay in particular since it is where I try to come to an overall judgement - and sum up the 'own ideas' part.

#12 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

In terms of structuring my essays, I'm drawing points from the sources (with the obvious cross referencing etc) and then adding my own knowledge to support or counter these points (in a similar way to what I did in Unit 2). Does this sound good to you?

It also seems to me that the conclusion is a vital part (perhaps more so than previously) to the B essay in particular since it is where I try to come to an overall judgement - and sum up the 'own ideas' part.

In answer to your two questions;

Yes.

Yes. Make sure you use the sources in the conclusion as well as coming to an overall judgement.

#13 Footnotes

Footnotes
  • Student
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

Okay,

Thank you very much you've really helped :)

I'll let you know how I got on after the exam - it's tomorrow!

#14 Mr. D. Bryant

Mr. D. Bryant
  • 1,084 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:00 AM

Thank you very much you've really helped :)
I'll let you know how I got on after the exam - it's tomorrow!

Glad we could help. All you can do is go into the exam as well-prepared as possible and you certainly seem to be doing that. Best of lcuk for tomorrow and the rest of your exams.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users